Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: :shrug: Bread Sauce..

:shrug: Bread Sauce..

I just found out about this rather strange, but potentially delicious concoction. My first thought was, "Why have the AWIMB gimps not opined on this subject? Why am I just finding out about this?"

Then again, I suspect some sort of trick as in, "I can't believe you ****ing made it and tried it? Hahaha". Y'all are fond of doing that to us loveable, yet gullible, Septics.

Evidently this is posited as some sort of perfect accompaniment to the Thanksgiving turkey, etc. Some sort of cure all for every poorly cooked dish presented. Soothes tart cranberries, adds richness to gruel-like gravy, etc. So what gives?

Quote Originally Posted by Chief Arrowhead View Post
    I just found out about this rather strange, but potentially delicious concoction. My first thought was, "Why have the AWIMB gimps not opined on this subject? Why am I just finding out about this?"

Then again, I suspect some sort of trick as in, "I can't believe you ****ing made it and tried it? Hahaha". Y'all are fond of doing that to us loveable, yet gullible, Septics.

Evidently this is posited as some sort of perfect accompaniment to the Thanksgiving turkey, etc. Some sort of cure all for every poorly cooked dish presented. Soothes tart cranberries, adds richness to gruel-like gravy, etc. So what gives?
    This is a Christmas staple. Stud half an onion with cloves, put in a pan with torn-up white bread and milk. Heat gently until it has coalesced to a creamy consistency. Leave the onion in as long as possible for extra flavour and serve after re-heating with a knob of butter to finish and having removed the cloves and onion. Add a bit of salt.

Under no circumstances listen to a word Sir C says on the subject. The man understands nothing of bread sauce.

I am an expert in this stuff, chief, as my wife insists I prepare it for her regularly. (She is properly English.)

Take it from a chap who knows. It is like peculiarly tasteless wallpaper paste, except that the texture is really revolting.

It's bread boiled in fúcking milk for the sake of all that's holy!

Bleeeurgh.

Quote Originally Posted by Sir C View Post
    I am an expert in this stuff, chief, as my wife insists I prepare it for her regularly. (She is properly English.)

Take it from a chap who knows. It is like peculiarly tasteless wallpaper paste, except that the texture is really revolting.

It's bread boiled in fúcking milk for the sake of all that's holy!

Bleeeurgh.
    It should never boil. See, chief? He knows nothing.

Don't listen to these snobby spastics Chief ... this is what you want

Attached Images Attached Images

Bread sauce, as with Bread and Butter pudding, is horrid. I just have Horseradish with all Roast dinners

Quote Originally Posted by Herbert Augustus Chapman View Post
    Don't listen to these snobby spastics Chief ... this is what you want

Lumpy spunk.

Still, if you like that sort of thing, h.

Quote Originally Posted by Burney View Post
    This is a Christmas staple. Stud half an onion with cloves, put in a pan with torn-up white bread and milk. Heat gently until it has coalesced to a creamy consistency. Leave the onion in as long as possible for extra flavour and serve after re-heating with a knob of butter to finish and having removed the cloves and onion. Add a bit of salt.

Under no circumstances listen to a word Sir C says on the subject. The man understands nothing of bread sauce.
    It doesn't seem to be all that exotic except for the cloves, which would seem to be an odd taste to go with turkey. Are any other spices or herbs allowed like rosemary, thyme, etc.? I'm assuming a good quality white bread?

It doesn't seem to be all that exotic except for the cloves, which would seem to be an odd taste to go with turkey. Are any other spices or herbs allowed like rosemary, thyme, etc.? I'm assuming a good quality white bread?
    The quality of the bread doesn’t matter at all, since you’re only going to boil it in milk, tbh.

And cloves are essential. The milk takes the harshness away and leaves them as a background flavour.

I wouldn’t try messing with other flavours at this stage, chief.

Quote Originally Posted by Burney View Post
    The quality of the bread doesn’t matter at all, since you’re only going to boil it in milk, tbh.

And cloves are essential. The milk takes the harshness away and leaves them as a background flavour.

I wouldn’t try messing with other flavours at this stage, chief.
    Allrighty, then. I'm going to give it a go. Will report back on the results, feedback, usage. Hey, pretty cheap. what could it hurt? Besides, the authorized 'gravy maker' in our family is terrible! She says, "that's the only thing I can do" and we haven't the heart to tell her that she can't do that either!