Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Apu off the Simpsons is racist, apparently.

Quote Originally Posted by Burney View Post
    To be honest, I'm simply amazed it's taken America this long to work out that the Apu stereotype is a touch problematic.

No British programme with a character like that would have been commissioned in the last 35 years. Look at poor old 'It ain't half hot, mum'. Apu got a pass on British telly purely because the people writing and voicing the character were American rather than British.
    See also the brown fella in Big Bang Theory. On the plus side, it mean Mind Your Language is gently pushed under the carpet as it it never happened

Quote Originally Posted by Peter View Post
    Do you mean 'n******* are the West Indians; these people are w***'

I liked the Major.
    That's the one. Where he's having to explain the difference to a young lady he took to Lord's

Mind you, serves him right for taking a woman to cricket.

That's the one. Where he's having to explain the difference to a young lady he took to Lord's

Mind you, serves him right for taking a woman to cricket.
    ahem....it was The Oval.

I recently shouldn't know that but I had Fawlty Towers played to me as a kid until I knew every single word....

Quote Originally Posted by Sir C View Post
    It seemed entirely normal to have three sugars in your tea. No one batted an eyelid. I suppose for the generation who lived through rationing, the sudden availability of sugar must have sent them into a frenzy...
    My day used to have about five. Or six if he thought no-one was looking. That fact that the tea was at sucrose saturation level and no more would desolve was no deterrent.

I used to sneak sugar sandwiches.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter View Post
    ahem....it was The Oval.

I recently shouldn't know that but I had Fawlty Towers played to me as a kid until I knew every single word....
    There you go, you see? I'm already misremembering it because I haven't seen it in so long.

Once our generation passes, no-one will ever know such a lovely comic moment even existed. That's what this retrospective censorship really means.

Quote Originally Posted by Luis Anaconda View Post
    See also the brown fella in Big Bang Theory. On the plus side, it mean Mind Your Language is gently pushed under the carpet as it it never happened
    I only found out a few years ago this was the Indian fella from Short Circuit (turns out Awimb is at it too with the smilies.

All right thinking people did, la. Also, if we're being honest, Frosties were nicer than Crunchy Nut Cornflakes because they didn't fvck about with honey and nuts, they just chucked half a kilo of sugar into every packet.
    And I used to add sugar to them - helped me grow up to be as strong as a tiger

Quote Originally Posted by Luis Anaconda View Post
    And I used to add sugar to them - helped me grow up to be as strong as a tiger
    They're Grrrrrrrrrreat!

Quote Originally Posted by Pat Vegas View Post
    I only found out a few years ago this was the Indian fella from Short Circuit (turns out Awimb is at it too with the smilies.

I'm pretty sure we used to have a problematic Chinaman smiley, didn't we? Slitty eyes and a coolie hat, sort of thing? Whatever happened to that?

Quote Originally Posted by Pat Vegas View Post

Roger the therapist from Friends