Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Apu off the Simpsons is racist, apparently.

Apu off the Simpsons is racist, apparently.

I always thought the Simpsons was a, you know, comedy show, which rather gently and charmingly mocked many apsects of mainstream US culture.

I was wrong, apparently.

Quote Originally Posted by Sir C View Post
    I always thought the Simpsons was a, you know, comedy show, which rather gently and charmingly mocked many apsects of mainstream US culture.

I was wrong, apparently.
    Everything is racist.

Look at Coco Pops. They are just 'blacked up' rice crispies. Why do they think they are going to get away with stuff like this? Its disgusting.....

I was wrong, apparently.
    To be honest, I'm simply amazed it's taken America this long to work out that the Apu stereotype is a touch problematic.

No British programme with a character like that would have been commissioned in the last 35 years. Look at poor old 'It ain't half hot, mum'. Apu got a pass on British telly purely because the people writing and voicing the character were American rather than British.

I was wrong, apparently.
    They are a bit behind on racism over there when it comes to Indians.

It's all mixed up their version of irishman jokes are about polish fellas. and Indians are bad drivers.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter View Post
    Everything is racist.

Look at Coco Pops. They are just 'blacked up' rice crispies. Why do they think they are going to get away with stuff like this? Its disgusting.....
    Coco Pops are fvcking rank and I don't care if saying that makes me racist. Tell you what I liked - Ricicles. Basically rice crispies, but coated with lovely, lovely sugar.

Quote Originally Posted by Pat Vegas View Post
    They are a bit behind on racism over there when it comes to Indians.

It's all mixed up their version of irishman jokes are about polish fellas. and Indians are bad drivers.
    What seems to be happening is that there is now a second generation of middle-class Indian Americans who are pointing out the problem. The first generation were too busy making a living and getting on with sh1t to worry about racial stereotypes.

Quote Originally Posted by Burney View Post
    Coco Pops are fvcking rank and I don't care if saying that makes me racist. Tell you what I liked - Ricicles. Basically rice crispies, but coated with lovely, lovely sugar.
    You seem to be forgetting Golden Nuggets.

If I didn't have my milkphobia, I'd definitely eat Golden Nuggets every day.

I agree, I liked Ricicles.

I understand they got in trouble for a recent advert because their characters (basically rice crispies) lacked diversity, being all white. So they put in a brown looking one and made him the janitor

You seem to be forgetting Golden Nuggets.

If I didn't have my milkphobia, I'd definitely eat Golden Nuggets every day.
    God, but we ate so much sugar back in the day, didn't we? Orange squash, biscuits, cereal, sweets. And I was as thin as a rake as a kid, believe it or not.

Of course, this may explain why I barely have a fully-functioning tooth in my head, but there we are.
    Last edited by Burney; 11-15-2017 at 11:34 AM.

What seems to be happening is that there is now a second generation of middle-class Indian Americans who are pointing out the problem. The first generation were too busy making a living and getting on with sh1t to worry about racial stereotypes.
    Only Fools and Horses included several used othe word [insert racist term for asians] in referring the owner of the loca corner shop.

These are now erased from versions they show on telly, so the scene just jumps to a random sentence or laughter. This would make an episode of It Ain't Half Hot Mum around 30 seconds long, with no intro music