Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Apu off the Simpsons is racist, apparently.

Quote Originally Posted by SWv2 View Post
    The "best" one was the classroom based comedy where the entire programme was based around laughing at Johnny Foreigner and his/her attempts to learn the language.
    Yes, but you have to admit you lot do talk funny.

Also, it was one of the few comedy programmes of that era that didn't take the p1ss out of the Irish.

Quote Originally Posted by Pat Vegas View Post
    I only found out a few years ago this was the Indian fella from Short Circuit (turns out Awimb is at it too with the smilies.

1 billion Indian people and Hollywood couldn't find one to play a character in a movie.
    "Scoring a goal is better than sex" - Whoever said that was sticking it to the wrong woman

Quote Originally Posted by Burney View Post
    It's the ubiquity of orange squash as sugar delivery system that I most associate with the late 70s and early 80s. I just seem to remember it being what we drank all the fvcking time. Do kids even drink it anymore? They just seem to have cans of pop these days.
    No idea - but I occasionally buy a bottle of Robinsons from the "British" shop here. Energy drinks are the thing these days aren't they? Strike me as far more damaging

Quote Originally Posted by SWv2 View Post
    I was unsure but research shows it to be Mind Your Language.

Fast forward to 9 minutes.

It's like you never read my posts

Quote Originally Posted by Viva Prat Vegas View Post

The only time I heard the word pop was in The Dandy
    Normal people called them Fizzy Drinks
    You speak the truth there, Viva.

Is pop an Americanism or do they call it soda?

Quote Originally Posted by Burney View Post
    Coco Pops are fvcking rank and I don't care if saying that makes me racist. Tell you what I liked - Ricicles. Basically rice crispies, but coated with lovely, lovely sugar.

Ricicles and Frosties as a kid
    "Scoring a goal is better than sex" - Whoever said that was sticking it to the wrong woman

Quote Originally Posted by Ash View Post

I’ve always seen it as a quintessentially British term.

My day used to have about five. Or six if he thought no-one was looking. That fact that the tea was at sucrose saturation level and no more would desolve was no deterrent.

I used to sneak sugar sandwiches.
    From my youth in England I seem to recall something called 'Brighton Rock' or somesuch?

It was an enormous cylinder of rock hard sugar that required you to break it into pieces and then suck on it. As I recall, it tasted of nothing but sugar.

Even as a child I struggled to understand the attraction.

Americans say soda, Canadians say pop. Pop because the original carbonated drink had a spherical glass thingy you pushed down to open the bottle. It then logged in the bottle itself so you could drink it and pushing it down produced a popping sound.

Bit of carbonated drink trivia for you there chaps.

Quote Originally Posted by World's End Stella View Post
    From my youth in England I seem to recall something called 'Brighton Rock' or somesuch?

It was an enormous cylinder of rock hard sugar that required you to break it into pieces and then suck on it. As I recall, it tasted of nothing but sugar.

Even as a child I struggled to understand the attraction.
    Just rock - although I guess if you bought it in Brighton it would be Brighton rock. Most seaside places would have it. My Great Uncle Jimmy had a sweet factory in Cork, where we used to go every summer and watch all the goodies being made. The raw goo that became rock was basically like crack