Thread: I want to download a classic album onto my phone through Spotify

Quote Originally Posted by Burney View Post
    Noodly hippy wánk.
    Personally I prefer Moondance or Enlightenment

Quote Originally Posted by Sir C View Post
    No ****'s mentioned Astral Weeks ffs.
    Dutch ****.

The Clash. Wildly overrated bunch of fùcking chancers imo.
    I watched a Sky Arts program on them just recently, inputs from various chancers plus Mick Jones plus Robin Banks.

They were a good band, one absolute classic album and 2-3 others good. The program was a little over the top all the same.

I could be mistaken but I think one contributor may have referred to them as the best, or most important, band ever.

Quote Originally Posted by IUFG View Post
    Sandinista could have been a great album if it was just two sides of vinyl instead of six.
    Mick Jones' ego span completely out of control there. Not sure what drug he was taking that rendered his critical faculties inoperable while he was insisting on adding complete dross to what should have been a fine album, but I'm amazed that no-one was able to stop him.

Quote Originally Posted by SWv2 View Post
    I watched a Sky Arts program on them just recently, inputs from various chancers plus Mick Jones plus Robin Banks.

They were a good band, one absolute classic album and 2-3 others good. The program was a little over the top all the same.

I could be mistaken but I think one contributor may have referred to them as the best, or most important, band ever.
    Yeah, I'll admit that the hyperbole about them from punk-era cünts does probably poison my feelings about them. In fact, I strongly feel that the whole pùnk thing was a load of old böllocks and that, if they were a good band, The Clash would have been a much better band if they hadn't been hitched to the whole punk thing, which was all posturing nonsense.

Quote Originally Posted by Ash View Post
    Mick Jones' ego span completely out of control there. Not sure what drug he was taking that rendered his critical faculties inoperable while he was insisting on adding complete dross to what should have been a fine album, but I'm amazed that no-one was able to stop him.
    Big Audio Dynamite is surely evidence that Mick Jones is not a man to trust alone in a recording studio?

Yeah, I'll admit that the hyperbole about them from punk-era cünts does probably poison my feelings about them. In fact, I strongly feel that the whole pùnk thing was a load of old böllocks and that, if they were a good band, The Clash would have been a much better band if they hadn't been hitched to the whole punk thing, which was all posturing nonsense.
    Arguably The Jam were the one true punk band.Get the old 1/2/3/4 100mph stuff out of your system and move on.The Clash did with Dub and Reggae but sort of couldn't break out of that.

I saw that too. I like The Clash, but how any muppet could say that while The Jam and The Stranglers were both making better albums than The Clash at the same time and most importantly, in the same genre, boggles belief.

Quote Originally Posted by TheCurly View Post
    Arguably The Jam were the one true punk band.Get the old 1/2/3/4 100mph stuff out of your system and move on.The Clash did with Dub and Reggae but sort of couldn't break out of that.
    Oh fúck it, any excuse really.

Oh fúck it, any excuse really.

Think the old pop art stuff went completely over everyone's head at the time