Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Thread: Sir C, Herbert, Dismal, The hunt continues

Sir C, Herbert, Dismal, The hunt continues

2 new contenders on the block.

1988 Les Paul standard.

1990 Les Paul Standard

I would consider the '90 the more handsome of the two instruments Fash.

I did mean to mention this before. Are you completely au-fait with the investigations one must undertake to avoid a counterfeit? There are many around and some have been crafted to a high standard.

Quote Originally Posted by Herbert Augustus Chapman View Post
    I would consider the '90 the more handsome of the two instruments Fash.

I did mean to mention this before. Are you completely au-fait with the investigations one must undertake to avoid a counterfeit? There are many around and some have been crafted to a high standard.

there are always a few tell tale signs from the obvious ones, the recent Chinese copies. the bridges are usually metric, though they can be converted, the truss rod is the wrong type, even the body shape can be off, the tuners are an odd colour.
    Though Slash's famous Les Paul wasn't a gibson.

EDIT the 2nd one is a 2000. still a decent year though.

What I could do if I went for the 88 one is sell the chainsaw case and get £150 for that alone.
    But I do like the 90. seen a few more I got my eye on.
    Last edited by Pat Vegas; 11-14-2017 at 11:14 AM.

My anxieties are clearly without foundation - you know exactly what you're doing :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Pat Vegas View Post

there are always a few tell tale signs from the obvious ones, the recent Chinese copies. the bridges are usually metric, though they can be converted, the truss rod is the wrong type, even the body shape can be off, the tuners are an odd colour.
    Though Slash's famous Les Paul wasn't a gibson.

EDIT the 2nd one is a 2000. still a decent year though.

What I could do if I went for the 88 one is sell the chainsaw case and get £150 for that alone.
    But I do like the 90. seen a few more I got my eye on.
    . . . . . .

Quote Originally Posted by Herbert Augustus Chapman View Post
    . . . . . .

I'm downsizing, keeping just 3 electrics, my junior, telecaster and whatever Les Paul I will buy.