Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Reduced drinking update

Quote Originally Posted by Burney View Post
    My contention would be that anyone who can 'sneak in a few G&Ts or glasses of fine red' and be happy with that level of consumption doesn't really get it.
    I would disagree with your contention. Alcohol should be enjoyed on multiple levels; not only the steam in and get trolleyed situation, but the gentle enjoyment of a few pints or glasses over several hours. As an example, I take my son to the pub at 12pm every Sunday (training, I refer to it as), he has two pints of coke, I have 2-3 pints of ale and we share a large plate of chips. Upon returning to Chez WES, I have no desire for more alcohol. I kip on the couch, a book in front of the fire in the kitchen, either of these nicely finish off the experience.

You, as I recall, have Irish blood, however.
    Last edited by World's End Stella; 11-14-2017 at 02:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sir C View Post
    I rather enjoy the element of self-discipline, to be honest.
    Oh yes, I quite agree. Waking up from a sound sleep after a night of abstinence is a fine thing. I did that this very morning.

But a chap surely is entitled to mix in the odd cheeky night and not feel less about himself for it?

You enjoy the extremes of self-indulgence or self-denial. It's one or t'other. Two sides of the same coin, sort of thing. Moderation is for fags.
    Aye. Two cheeks of the same arse, one might say. I find that while I'm running every day, all is well, but if I miss a day, I have to have a week off to recover my rhythm, then go again.

Quote Originally Posted by World's End Stella View Post
    Oh yes, I quite agree. Waking up from a sound sleep after a night of abstinence is a fine thing. I did that this very morning.

But a chap surely is entitled to mix in the cheeky night and not feel less about himself for it?
    A chap is entitled to do whatever he wishes; however, once a chap has imposed a rule upon himself, breaking this rule breaks the very man.

As Bolt's Thomas More said, "When a man takes an oath, Meg, he's holding his own self in his own hands. Like water. And if he opens his fingers then — he needn't hope to find himself again."

Quote Originally Posted by TheCurly View Post
    I would be doing you a terrible disservice if I was anything other than blunt old friend.
    So,here goes........you silly *******.You're born then you die.Anything other than a hedonistic lifestyle is for MUGGS
    I've had a decent run, c. I've drank a river of hooch, burnt fields of fags and snorted mountains of gak, but each man must know his limits. Also, bear in mind I married a young chick. I need to make an effort not to leave her alone too quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by World's End Stella View Post
    I would disagree with your contention. Alcohol should be enjoyed on multiple levels; not only the steam in and get trolleyed situation, but the gentle enjoyment of a few pints or glasses over several hours. As an example, I take my son to the pub at 12pm every Sunday (training, I refer to it as), he has two pints of coke, I have 2-3 pints of ale and we share a large plate of chips. Upon returning to Chez WES, I have no desire for more alcohol. I kip in the couch, a book in front of the fire in the kitchen, either of these nicely finish off the experience.

You, as I recall, have Irish blood, however.
    The fact that you think that ‘getting trolleyed’ and ‘gentle enjoyment’ are the two parameters of drinking is rather the point. You don’t get it.

I need to make an effort not to leave her alone too quickly.
    Are you quite sure she's not looking forward to the money/freedom?

I've had a decent run, c. I've drank a river of hooch, burnt fields of fags and snorted mountains of gak, but each man must know his limits. Also, bear in mind I married a young chick. I need to make an effort not to leave her alone too quickly.
    Fret not over the little lassie.She'll be grand,you are heavily insured are you not?

The fact that you think that ‘getting trolleyed’ and ‘gentle enjoyment’ are the two parameters of drinking is rather the point. You don’t get it.
    I used those two only as examples. There are many others.

Although I would agree that I have no idea what you're on about.

Aye. Two cheeks of the same arse, one might say. I find that while I'm running every day, all is well, but if I miss a day, I have to have a week off to recover my rhythm, then go again.
    ‘The lilies and languor of virtue...and the roses and raptures of vice’ as dear old Algernon Charles Swinburne put it.

Mind you, I’m not sure it’s not t’other way about these days.