Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Reduced drinking update

Quote Originally Posted by Sir C View Post
    'Real alcoholics' Is that like 'drug addicts'?

Weak-minded, feckless, attention-seeking wasters, h. Addiction is an excuse for giving up. Or not giving up, as the case may be.
    Mind you, there is a certain dignity to the term 'high-functioning alcoholic', I feel.

I’ve moved on - no booze now on Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday or Thursday, and no more than half a bottle on Friday and Sunday.

I imagined that after several weeks of this regime I would be feeling healthier, sharper and happier, and that I would have lost weight. The result of all this self denial is... nothing. Nothing at all, except a general sense of misery with occasional bouts of sheer desperation.

Life is awful. Does anyone have a number for the Samaritans?

My advice to anyone considering reducing their alcohol intake is don’t do it. Stay on the grog. Go harder if you can.
    I would be doing you a terrible disservice if I was anything other than blunt old friend.
    So,here goes........you silly *******.You're born then you die.Anything other than a hedonistic lifestyle is for MUGGS

'Real alcoholics' Is that like 'drug addicts'?

Weak-minded, feckless, attention-seeking wasters, h. Addiction is an excuse for giving up. Or not giving up, as the case may be.
    Yes yes yes, mock away and,as usual hide, behind your crafty words and sophistry. You may walk through this world as a blind man c but he will see you. You know of whom I speak!

But one of the joys of reducing your drinking significantly is having the odd cheeky cheat night and enjoying it tremendously.

I think you need to be less strict with yourself, Charles and sneak in a few G&Ts or glasses of fine red every now and then.

I really do enjoy alcohol more now that I drink less, if you see what I mean.

Quote Originally Posted by Herbert Augustus Chapman View Post
    Well if you could stop whining and bellyaching like a child denied its sweets, things might improve.

Instead of thinking only of yourself try and use your new found sobriety to help your fellow man - perhaps those less fortunate than you. Go and do some work in one of those soup kitchens frequented by real alcoholics and folk who have, frequently through no fault of their own, fallen off the edge. Then, you may start to feel better as you acquire a sense of worth.
    Those people smell, dribble, shout, fight, vomit and pïss themselves, h. Anyone seeking 'self-worth' in their company is simply indulging their own narcissistic messianic complex. There is no such thing as altruism.

Quote Originally Posted by Burney View Post
    Those people smell, dribble, shout, fight, vomit and pïss themselves, h. Anyone seeking 'self-worth' in their company is simply indulging their own narcissistic messianic complex. There is no such thing as altruism.
    Come now b, I know you don't believe that. If there were no altruism we'd all still be dry humping each other in caves.

Quote Originally Posted by World's End Stella View Post
    But one of the joys of reducing your drinking significantly is having the odd cheeky cheat night and enjoying it tremendously.

I think you need to be less strict with yourself, Charles and sneak in a few G&Ts or glasses of fine red every now and then.

My contention would be that anyone who can 'sneak in a few G&Ts or glasses of fine red' and be happy with that level of consumption doesn't really get it.

Quote Originally Posted by World's End Stella View Post

I rather enjoy the element of self-discipline, to be honest.

Quote Originally Posted by Herbert Augustus Chapman View Post
    Come now b, I know you don't believe that. If there were no altruism we'd all still be dry humping each other in caves.
    No. Our laws exist precisely because there's no such thing as altruism. We must be threatened with a worse alternative in order to subdue our baser nature.

I rather enjoy the element of self-discipline, to be honest.
    You enjoy the extremes of self-indulgence or self-denial. It's one or t'other. Two sides of the same coin, sort of thing. Moderation is for fags.