Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: A comment I heard on the radio this morning

Quote Originally Posted by Burney View Post
    Christ, I think I'd turn down a five-way. A two-way is struggle enough these days.
    Technically five separate rape charges as well. Sod that!

Sure, but there's still lust and desire for sexual gratification there as well. It may come from a very wrong place, but it's the same set of chemicals.
    Experts (and I assume this refers to criminologists and therapists) view it as a means for establishing control. THat in the mind of the rapist sex is inherently about the desire to dominate women, even punish them.

May explain why someone like Weinstein chooses to do all this stuff to women instead of paying for it, which he could easily do. Paying for it is a form of control but one where the woman is willing to accept it. Paying for it also implies that one has to and therefore creates a limit to one's power over women. Coercion reflects his position of power and his ability to control women.

Pure speculation of course. Maybe he is just a sick ******* who enjoys making women do things they dont want to.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter View Post
    Experts (and I assume this refers to criminologists and therapists) view it as a means for establishing control. THat in the mind of the rapist sex is inherently about the desire to dominate women, even punish them.

May explain why someone like Weinstein chooses to do all this stuff to women instead of paying for it, which he could easily do. Paying for it is a form of control but one where the woman is willing to accept it. Paying for it also implies that one has to and therefore creates a limit to one's power over women. Coercion reflects his position of power and his ability to control women.

Pure speculation of course. Maybe he is just a sick ******* who enjoys making women do things they dont want to.
    I'm not denying that the exertion of power and control may be the turn on for someone like Weinstein, but there's a reason he wasn't trying it on with ugly birds and that's because his sexual impulses in terms of attraction and desire were just the same as ours.

Thanks for that bit of mansplaining, Peter. I am aware that rape is often about control more than anything else.

However, it is also always fuelled by a man's desire to have sex with a woman. Otherwise, if it's not about sex, why don't heterosexual men ever rape other men?

Which would suggest that you believe that rape is fuelled by a man's desire to have sex with a particular woman- that they in some way fancy them.

Rape is not about sex, its about control. It is a man asserting his control over a woman, making her subordinate to him. This is the culture; this is the whole crux of the argument; this is why they argue that touching a knee, particularly in a power-imbalance environment, is effectively rape.

Quote Originally Posted by Monty92 View Post
    However, it is also always fuelled by a man's desire to have sex with a woman. Otherwise, if it's not about sex, why don't heterosexual men ever rape other men?
    I think they do in some places. As an assertion of dominance and power.

Quote Originally Posted by Ash View Post
    Life sounds tough in the IT industry, a.

Quote Originally Posted by Monty92 View Post
    Thanks for that bit of mansplaining, Peter. I am aware that rape is often about control more than anything else.

You honestly think that doesnt happen? Have you never seen a prison film?

The point is that the aspect of control is the link between rape and knee touching. If you were to believe that the knee touching is actually just a clumsy move on a woman you fancy then there is no link.

Dont accuse me of mainsplaining again. You are not even a woman

I'm not denying that the exertion of power and control may be the turn on for someone like Weinstein, but there's a reason he wasn't trying it on with ugly birds and that's because his sexual impulses in terms of attraction and desire were just the same as ours.
    Errr..... have you seen some of the victims? They are not all budding models and are nothing compared to what he could have paid for.

I tend to think of it in the same way that blokes, particularly when young, will always look for some pathetic excuse for starting a fight by accusing the target of having spilt their pint/looked at their woman etc......the idea being to make the victim complicit and superficially absolve the aggressor by giving them some form of justification.

I think in Weinstein's mind if the woman submits to coercion then she must effectively 'want it'. THerefore he has pulled rather than paid and his pride is restored.

Have you never seen a prison film?
    Careful, p. You've gone a bit

giphy-facebook_s.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Ash View Post
    That is completely different. It in no way relates to the gender imbalance in society and therefore doesnt count as being part of 'rape culture'.