Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: A comment I heard on the radio this morning

Quote Originally Posted by Peter View Post
    Funny that. A man is programmed to rape by his biological traits. He isn't, however, programmed to be a man and as soon as he announces that he wishes to be a woman that biology becomes irrelevant.

It may be possible to link the two offences to the same motivation, or the same root cause. It is tenuous, and I cant tell you it is ****ing *******s, but one may at least try.

THat isn't what is being suggested. Rejecting the notion of a hierarchy is not linking the two motives, it is suggesting that the two offences are not inherently more or less serious than one another. In other words, touching a knee is as damaging, as terrifying, as horrific, as raping someone.

Linked by the same motive or cause is a hierarchy. A flat line approach that shoves every perceived offence into the 'rape culture' file is nothing more than the work of a complete and utter ****. It MASSIVELY trivialises rape.
    I think you present a bit of a straw man. Not entirely, but a little bit.

Funny that. A man is programmed to rape by his biological traits. He isn't, however, programmed to be a man and as soon as he announces that he wishes to be a woman that biology becomes irrelevant.

It may be possible to link the two offences to the same motivation, or the same root cause. It is tenuous, and I cant tell you it is ****ing *******s, but one may at least try.

THat isn't what is being suggested. Rejecting the notion of a hierarchy is not linking the two motives, it is suggesting that the two offences are not inherently more or less serious than one another. In other words, touching a knee is as damaging, as terrifying, as horrific, as raping someone.

Linked by the same motive or cause is a hierarchy. A flat line approach that shoves every perceived offence into the 'rape culture' file is nothing more than the work of a complete and utter ****. It MASSIVELY trivialises rape.
    What I find interesting is that this strand of feminism seems happy to accept the trivialisation of actual rape as a reasonable price to pay for putting a societal leash on non-rapey men and the demonisation of a range of relatively normal male behaviours.

Apart from bum bandits and those men who wish to become women.

In other words, all straight mean are rapists.
    I was drinking until late in Soho last night. There were many men dressed as Freddie Mercury. I don't really know why.

Some of them may, i suspect, be gay.

Quote Originally Posted by Ash View Post
    And presumably we shouldn't be thinking in terms of a hierarchy of hate crime offences where giving someone a funny look is less serious than the Holocaust.
    Well, again, being mean, whether it's a funny look or brazen bigotry, is part of the same culture, yes.

It's a bigger jump than when we're talking about expressions of masculine sexuality, but the parallel still exists.

Quote Originally Posted by Monty92 View Post
    I think you present a bit of a straw man. Not entirely, but a little bit.
    You do use that word an awful lot.

Well, again, being mean, whether it's a funny look or brazen bigotry, is part of the same culture, yes.

It's a bigger jump than when we're talking about expressions of masculine sexuality, but the parallel still exists.
    Holocaust culture.

Holocaust culture.
    No, being mean culture

Quote Originally Posted by Burney View Post
    What I find interesting is that this strand of feminism seems happy to accept the trivialisation of actual rape as a reasonable price to pay for putting a societal leash on non-rapey men and the demonisation of a range of relatively normal male behaviours.
    It doesnt just trivialise rape. It obstructs any reasonable dialogue.

You can talk a bloke through why he shouldn't be grabbing a girl's tits in a nightclub and he might, just possibly, listen to you. If you effectively call him a rapist he is going to dismiss you as a nutter.

Do we really want to deal with the behaviours or do we just want to demonise people?

You are mental. No offence, like.

No, being mean culture
    That would make 'rape culture' the 'touching knee culture'. The whole point is that you name it after the biggest crime.

Unless you are happy with referring to the holocaust as just another part of the 'being mean culture'....