Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: A comment I heard on the radio this morning

A comment I heard on the radio this morning

"We shouldn't be thinking in terms of a hierarchy of offences where the touching of a knee is less serious than rape. They are all part of the same culture".

I have known three women in my life who have been raped and I am confident that all three of them would punch you in the face for saying something as ****ing stupid as that.

The problem is that there's some truth in it

if by 'culture' they meant 'masculinity'.

Men touch women's knees, in part, because they are men with uniquely masculine biological traits, often combined with their position in the male-dominated power structure of society. And men also rape women for the same reasons.

The only discussion to be had is what we should do about it.

Once again, much like the Wenger debate, there's not as big a divergence of opinion as people might like to think.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter View Post
    "We shouldn't be thinking in terms of a hierarchy of offences where the touching of a knee is less serious than rape. They are all part of the same culture".

I have known three women in my life who have been raped and I am confident that all three of them would punch you in the face for saying something as ****ing stupid as that.

Quote Originally Posted by Monty92 View Post

Men touch women's knees, in part, because they are men with uniquely masculine biological traits, often combined with their position in the male-dominated power structure of society. And men also rape women for the same reasons.

Once again, much like the Wenger debate, there's not as big a divergence of opinion as people might like to think.
    People steal because they want things they don't have. Thus, all theft is part of the same 'culture'.

It doesn't therefore follow, however, that we should treat a child stealing penny chews from Woolworths in the same way we treat someone who mugs grannies for their pension books. That logic serves simply to criminalise the trivial and trivialise the criminal.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter View Post

Surely the problem is that we're completely missing the point, which is that all PIV is rape, and all men are rapists.

Funny that. A man is programmed to rape by his biological traits. He isn't, however, programmed to be a man and as soon as he announces that he wishes to be a woman that biology becomes irrelevant.

It may be possible to link the two offences to the same motivation, or the same root cause. It is tenuous, and I cant tell you it is ****ing *******s, but one may at least try.

THat isn't what is being suggested. Rejecting the notion of a hierarchy is not linking the two motives, it is suggesting that the two offences are not inherently more or less serious than one another. In other words, touching a knee is as damaging, as terrifying, as horrific, as raping someone.

Linked by the same motive or cause is a hierarchy. A flat line approach that shoves every perceived offence into the 'rape culture' file is nothing more than the work of a complete and utter ****. It MASSIVELY trivialises rape.

Quote Originally Posted by Sir C View Post
    Surely the problem is that we're completely missing the point, which is that all PIV is rape, and all men are rapists.
    I take it your glw has made this clear to you?

And presumably we shouldn't be thinking in terms of a hierarchy of hate crime offences where giving someone a funny look is less serious than the Holocaust.

Quote Originally Posted by Sir C View Post
    Apart from bum bandits and those men who wish to become women.

In other words, all straight mean are rapists.

Quote Originally Posted by Burney View Post
    People steal because they want things they don't have. Thus, all theft is part of the same 'culture'.

It doesn't therefore follow, however, that we should treat a child stealing penny chews from Woolworths in the same way we treat someone who mugs grannies for their pension books. That logic serves simply to criminalise the trivial and trivialise the criminal.
    Firstly, I obviously agree. Secondly, I don't actually think anyone is suggesting they should be treated the same in any meaningful way. That's a bit of a straw man. No-one thinks a man who touches a woman's knee should be jailed.

A lot of people are pushing back against the idea that hands on knees are trivial because that doesn't tackle the 'culture' of masculinity that we both acknowledge exists. But anyone sane and worth listening to KNOWS it's trivial. The divergence comes when people claim that we need to have a zero tolerance approach to ANY expression of masculine sexuality in ORDER to tackle the more serious stuff.

We both think this is ****ing stupid.
    Last edited by Monty92; 11-01-2017 at 10:14 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ash View Post
    And presumably we shouldn't be thinking in terms of a hierarchy of hate crime offences where giving someone a funny look is less serious than the Holocaust.
    You have to nip these things in the bud.