Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: So, trick or treat etc.

So, trick or treat etc.

1. Utter Yankee ****ery

or

2. Not, lots of Maoams and Haribo to gorge on later.

Quote Originally Posted by SWv2 View Post
    1. Utter Yankee ****ery

or

I won't open the door.

1. Utter Yankee ****ery

or

Well, as an adult you obviously don't eat sweets, and as a parent concerned for the teeth of your children, you won't be encouraging that either.

Meanwhile, are there not Irish claims to certain aspects of the Halloween tradition? I thought I even saw a claim of 'cultural appropriation' from an Irish source recently. When I was a nipper in Lisburn it was much bigger than over here at the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Ash View Post
    Well, as an adult you obviously don't eat sweets, and as a parent concerned for the teeth of your children, you won't be encouraging that either.

Meanwhile, are there not Irish claims to certain aspects of the Halloween tradition? I thought I even saw a claim of 'cultural appropriation' from an Irish source recently. When I was a nipper in Lisburn it was much bigger than over here at the time.
    When I was younger we would go out and look to attack people, other likeminded folk and indeed other innocents, with eggs and concoctions made from foodstuffs and general rubbish. This would naturally as one grew up proceed to things like bangers which you would throw at cars, put into letter boxes and throw at people’s houses. Kind of turned into a game of cat and mouse with the RUC who would be mooching around.

Got out of hand in the end as people would invariably attack them.

I never once did the whole T+T thing that is now so common. Houses decorated on a par with the Xmas. It’s gone mad tbh.

I never once did the whole T+T thing that is now so common. Houses decorated on a par with the Xmas. It’s gone mad tbh.
    I might have done it in 1970. Extracting favours with menaces probably isn't the best behavioural guide for youngsters tbh, unless one is expecting them to persue a career in extortion.

Quote Originally Posted by bbrian View Post
    I'll have about 80 kids stop by later..very annoying

Do you remember the Barmbraic cakes from back in the day Sw? All sorts of stuff baked into it , like rings whatever . Good test for the teeth that was when you chomped down ona piece of metal
    Still exist BB, the ring being the prize. Supervalu had a load of them in the shop yesterday.

Dry as fúck and quite minging it has to be said, but then a ring is a ring.

Quote Originally Posted by Ash View Post
    I might have done it in 1970. Extracting favours with menaces probably isn't the best behavioural guide for youngsters tbh, unless one is expecting them to persue a career in extortion.
    Nor really is being encouraged to round a strangers house in fancy dress asking for sweets.

I opened the door to kids last year and upon being shouted at I requested the trick element, to which there was silence and not an inconsiderable amount of puzzlement either. In the end they just took treats and bid me farewell.

Quote Originally Posted by Pat Vegas View Post
    I won't open the door.
    I've hated it since the moment in 1992 when a small Pakistani child came to my door in Leeds while I was horribly stoned and shouted 'Trick or Treat!'

Completely panicked, I gave him my flatmate's box of Shredded Wheat, shut the door and refused to open the door for the rest of the night.

Still exist BB, the ring being the prize. Supervalu had a load of them in the shop yesterday.

Dry as fúck and quite minging it has to be said, but then a ring is a ring.
    Chap I know on twitter posts joke fake treats like Brussels Sprouts covered in chocolate, fairy cakes with broccoli baked in them and Oreo cookies with the filling replaced by toothpaste.

This year, this seems to have resulted in large numbers of black American people tweeting about how this is what's wrong with white people and how they would beat anyone who gave their kids chocolate covered vegetables to death.

Quote Originally Posted by Burney View Post
    I've hated it since the moment in 1992 when a small Pakistani child came to my door in Leeds while I was horribly stoned and shouted 'Trick or Treat!'

Completely panicked, I gave him my flatmate's box of Shredded Wheat, shut the door and refused to open the door for the rest of the night.
    10 characters