Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: I have now commenced being thrifty. any tips?

Quote Originally Posted by PSRB View Post
    Given up on lottery tickets and going to try and stop smoking....again
    I was thinking of taking up lottery tickets.

Can you vape them?

Yes, stop it.

Being healthy is good within limits, of course. But saving money for the sake of it is silly.

Money isn't worth anything until you spend it, as they say.

Quote Originally Posted by World's End Stella View Post
    Yes, stop it.

Being healthy is good within limits, of course. But saving money for the sake of it is silly.

Money isn't worth anything until you spend it, as they say.
    Ah, but those of us who aren't working for the thieving pirates that call themselves the financial sector need to scrimp and save to afford somewhere decent to live, you see.

As for being healthy - we have seen evidence that living too healthily can clearly lead to people being so smug and self-satisfied that they start sniffing their own farts.

Quote Originally Posted by Ash View Post
    Ah, but those of us who aren't working for the thieving pirates that call themselves the financial sector need to scrimp and save to afford somewhere decent to live, you see.

As for being healthy - we have seen evidence that living too healthily can clearly lead to people being so smug and self-satisfied that they start sniffing their own farts.
    That isn't - by my definition - being thrifty. That is living within ones means, perfectly acceptable.

Being thrifty/tight/mean to me is saving money for the sake of it even though you don't have to. My brother-in-law, as an example. Horrible tight tw@t who is more than happy to steam into my wine and food but would never invite someone over and who is always last to the bar when we go down the pub at Xmas. This despite he and his wife both being well employed in the architecture sector with no children to pay for.

He's from Yorkshire, you see.

That isn't - by my definition - being thrifty. That is living within ones means, perfectly acceptable.

Being thrifty/tight/mean to me is saving money for the sake of it even though you don't have to. My brother-in-law, as an example. Horrible tight tw@t who is more than happy to steam into my wine and food but would never invite someone over and who is always last to the bar when we go down the pub at Xmas. This despite he and his wife both being well employed in the architecture sector with no children to pay for.

So he is sensible with money... and knows a soft touch when he sees one.. shrood imo
    Northern Monkey ... who can't upload a bleeding Avatar

I've spent a lifetime being profligate. Now that I've decided to get off the treadmill, I'm as tight as a duck's įrse. For example, I've just booked flights with Vietnam Airways because they were £1,000 cheaper than BA. £1,000 each. That's £2,000 for the retirement fund.

Quote Originally Posted by Sir C View Post
    I've spent a lifetime being profligate. Now that I've decided to get off the treadmill, I'm as tight as a duck's įrse. For example, I've just booked flights with Vietnam Airways because they were £1,000 cheaper than BA. £1,000 each. That's £2,000 for the retirement fund.
    And with Vietnam Airways they bring the kids to you shortly after take-off so you can get noncing straight away

Quote Originally Posted by Herbert Augustus Chapman View Post
    And with Vietnam Airways they bring the kids to you shortly after take-off so you can get noncing straight away
    It's a 787 and a flat bed, so it's hard to complain, but the food and the service won't be as good as BA

Quote Originally Posted by Sir C View Post
    It's a 787 and a flat bed, so it's hard to complain, but the food and the service won't be as good as BA
    It's a commie airline. You're basically Jane Fonda.

Quote Originally Posted by Burney View Post
    It's a commie airline. You're basically Jane Fonda.
    There are few things on earth less commie than Vietnam these days, tbh.