Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Kronke has caused a Twitter meltdown by describing the fans as rabid :hehe:

Quote Originally Posted by Peter View Post
    I did enjoy the Kroenke's saying that it is easy to do something, far harder to not do something. Very good
    Good man, Stan.
    "Plenty of strikers can score goals," he said, gesturing to the famous old stands casting shadows around us.

"But a lot have found it difficult wearing the number 9 shirt for The Arsenal."

In this instance that would seem to be absolutely true

The easiest thing would have been to placate the fleeting, impulsive, toddler-esque demands of our fans rather than do the rational thing and deal with the subsequent flak

Cue you telling me that wanting change for a decade isn't impulsive. Cue me rolling my eyes and saying something disproportionately offensive about you. And so on and so forth...

Quote Originally Posted by Peter View Post
    I did enjoy the Kroenke's saying that it is easy to do something, far harder to not do something. Very good

Quote Originally Posted by Monty92 View Post
    The easiest thing would have been to placate the fleeting, impulsive, toddler-esque demands of our fans rather than do the rational thing and deal with the subsequent flak

Cue you telling me that wanting change for a decade isn't impulsive. Cue me rolling my eyes and saying something disproportionately offensive about you. And so on and so forth...
    Something about Stan needing a new hobby etc.

I understand your point but in this case I happen to disagree. There is no shortage of criticism but the supporters are hardly in open revolt, the Emirates is still sold out, there is a waiting list for season tickets etc. Wenger will always keep the team pretty competitive and he's incapable of looking at his players objectively so the turnaround in players and the knock on financial cost will always be low.

There is no downside to keeping Wenger beyond knowing that you won't challenge for the PL or CL and Kroenke clearly isn't bothered about that or he wouldn't have given him a 2 year extension.

The difficult thing in this case would have been to take a chance on a new manager, new approach to transfers, new style of play, knowing that it could go wrong but also that we might actually challenge for the PL/CL which is all that the supporters you so easily condemn really want.

The hardest thing for the board to do was see through the fog of fan disgruntlement and apply logic and reason to the question of whether or not Wenger was still the best man for the job.

You and I can both agree that this decision was informed by a safety-first approach. The point on which we disagree is not based on anything remotely quantitative, but rather our own individual (and entirely legitimate) inclinations.

Which is why so much of what is said about the board is totally ridiculous. The difference between their and your position is negligible.

Quote Originally Posted by World's End Stella View Post
    I understand your point but in this case I happen to disagree. There is no shortage of criticism but the supporters are hardly in open revolt, the Emirates is still sold out, there is a waiting list for season tickets etc. Wenger will always keep the team pretty competitive and he's incapable of looking at his players objectively so the turnaround in players and the knock on financial cost will always be low.

There is no downside to keeping Wenger beyond knowing that you won't challenge for the PL or CL and Kroenke clearly isn't bothered about that or he wouldn't have given him a 2 year extension.

The difficult thing in this case would have been to take a chance on a new manager, new approach to transfers, new style of play, knowing that it could go wrong but also that we might actually challenge for the PL/CL which is all that the supporters you so easily condemn really want.
    Last edited by Monty92; 10-27-2017 at 09:47 AM.

The hardest thing for the board to do was see through the fog of fan disgruntlement and apply logic and reason to the question of whether or not Wenger was still the best man for the job.

You and I can both agree that this decision was informed by a safety-first approach. The point on which we disagree is not based on anything remotely quantitative, but rather our own individual (and entirely legitimate) inclinations.

Which is why so much of what is said about the board is totally ridiculous. The difference between their and your position is negligible.
    True. It's not Kroenke's fault that we can't defend.

He's actually proved to be a model owner; keeps quiet and leaves the football to the football people. And we can't really insist that our owners be extremely wealthy and then complain that they are only interested in money, can we.
    "Plenty of strikers can score goals," he said, gesturing to the famous old stands casting shadows around us.

On another note, I see that identity politics has even crept into our AGMs. Some old hag with a few shares asked Sir Chips when the board is going to be more “diverse”.

He literally completely ignored her and moved onto the next question

Anyway, I’d say a board full of people who basically hate each other and - as we are led to believe - were split over whether to keep the manager is, by definition, pretty diverse, no?

Quote Originally Posted by redgunamo View Post
    True. It's not Kroenke's fault that we can't defend.

He's actually proved to be a model owner; keeps quiet and leaves the football to the football people. And we can't really insist that our owners be extremely wealthy and then complain that they are only interested in money, can we.

On another note, I see that identity politics has even crept into our AGMs. Some old hag with a few shares asked Sir Chips when the board is going to be more “diverse”.

Anyway, I’d say a board full of people who basically hate each other and - as we are led to believe - were split over whether to keep the manager is, by definition, pretty diverse, no?
    Sure, but not in a public relations sense, which is all that mattress nowadays apparently.

Well we used to have Old Etonians, an Asian woman and a load of Jews. That was pretty diverse, wasn't it?

We also had a vicar
    Rev F Bone
    10 characters? Pile of cund.