Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Now I know I'm slightly obsessed by The Guardian, but in this piece, the author

Now I know I'm slightly obsessed by The Guardian, but in this piece, the author

blandly asserts that the President of the United States would "happily preside over televised hangings of gay people". There's no 'only kidding' or suggestion that this is satire - let alone factual evidence for this extraordinary assertion. She appears actually to believe this and has written it in an article for a leading newspaper. And what's more, no editor has at any point taken it out.

https://www.theguardian.com/commenti...right-wing-afd

Seriously, what is wrong with these people? Are they so far removed from normal discourse that they can't see how unhinged this sounds to normal people? Are their social circles so rarified that no-one ever challenges them when they come out with this sort of shít?

Let's leave aside all the other horseshít in the article and simply ask how we reached such a pitch of hysteria that people are uncrtitically making this sort of ridiculous, unfounded statement about a democratically elected politician without anyone calling them on it or suggesting they're being hysterical, offensive and mendacious?

Quote Originally Posted by Burney View Post
    blandly asserts that the President of the United States would "happily preside over televised hangings of gay people". There's no 'only kidding' or suggestion that this is satire - let alone factual evidence for this extraordinary assertion. She appears actually to believe this and has written it in an article for a leading newspaper. And what's more, no editor has at any point taken it out.

Seriously, what is wrong with these people? Are they so far removed from normal discourse that they can't see how unhinged this sounds to normal people? Are their social circles so rarified that no-one ever challenges them when they come out with this sort of shít?

Let's leave aside all the other horseshít in the article and simply ask how we reached such a pitch of hysteria that people are uncrtitically making this sort of ridiculous, unfounded statement about a democratically elected politician without anyone calling them on it or suggesting they're being hysterical, offensive and mendacious?
    "One suspects, of course, that not only did Trump say it, but that he himself would happily preside over televised hangings of gay people if he thought it would get him good ratings."

If you read the whole sentence, it's actually quite different to how you've tried to portray it there

As I understand it, Trump actually has a reasonable record when it comes to benders. Of all the attention-seeking oppressed minority groups I thought this was the one where he had the least trouble.

The article is really about the horrific possibility that some gay people might be right wing, or at least conservative. If I could just put my PC hat on for a moment, I am genuinely horrified that someone would even suggest to somebody that they should vote, feel or act a certain way purely on the basis of their sexuality. That being gay means one simply CANNOT vote conservative, or republican, or UKIP.

What else do you have? Do poofs have to be remainers? Are they pro-life, anti-gun? Must they favour Scottish independence?

THese people sicken me. Leave the bummers alone. They are free to vote how they wish, just like the rest of us normal folk.

I think it's important to remember that The Guardian is staffed by members of the lunatic fringe, writing articles for fellow lunatics. The vast majority of the population are still sane enough to see this type of thing as lunacy.

Whay worries me is that the drip feed of this nonsense is starting to make it seem less mad and more mainstream. Like what they did with the transers

Don't worry, we're almost dead. Your daughter's generation will have to put things right.

Quote Originally Posted by Luis Anaconda View Post
    "One suspects, of course, that not only did Trump say it, but that he himself would happily preside over televised hangings of gay people if he thought it would get him good ratings."

If you read the whole sentence, it's actually quite different to how you've tried to portray it there
    Its no less pathetic. Apart from anything else, it would get seriously ****ing good ratings and everyone knows it.

Oh, right, they mean his personal ratings.....

Quote Originally Posted by Luis Anaconda View Post

No, sorry, but that context doesn't alter in the fact that it's a wholly unacceptable, hysterical, irresponsible and idiotic thing to say, being based as it is in absolutely no fact whatsoever. She might as well accuse him of eating babies or having sex with farmyard animals for all the basis in truth what she's written has. It's a baseless slur founded in nothing but her own prejudice.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter View Post
    As I understand it, Trump actually has a reasonable record when it comes to benders. Of all the attention-seeking oppressed minority groups I thought this was the one where he had the least trouble.

The article is really about the horrific possibility that some gay people might be right wing, or at least conservative. If I could just put my PC hat on for a moment, I am genuinely horrified that someone would even suggest to somebody that they should vote, feel or act a certain way purely on the basis of their sexuality. That being gay means one simply CANNOT vote conservative, or republican, or UKIP.

What else do you have? Do poofs have to be remainers? Are they pro-life, anti-gun? Must they favour Scottish independence?

THese people sicken me. Leave the bummers alone. They are free to vote how they wish, just like the rest of us normal folk.
    But this is identity politics in a nutshell, p: every minority's rights are sacrosanct and they are all to be cherished, worshipped and agitated for - right up until they start having their own 'wrong' opinions.

Quote Originally Posted by Sir C View Post
    I think it's important to remember that The Guardian is staffed by members of the lunatic fringe, writing articles for fellow lunatics. The vast majority of the population are still sane enough to see this type of thing as lunacy.

Whay worries me is that the drip feed of this nonsense is starting to make it seem less mad and more mainstream. Like what they did with the transers

Don't worry, we're almost dead. Your daughter's generation will have to put things right.
    We need a war. Too much peace drives people insane. Look at the Swedes, ffs!

No, sorry, but that context doesn't alter in the fact that it's a wholly unacceptable, hysterical, irresponsible and idiotic thing to say, being based as it is in absolutely no fact whatsoever. She might as well accuse him of eating babies or having sex with farmyard animals for all the basis in truth what she's written has. It's a baseless slur founded in nothing but her own prejudice.
    There is a great difference but you chose not to see it.
    And what were you saying about the permanently outraged the other day? Pot and kettle springs to mind

We need a war. Too much peace drives people insane. Look at the Swedes, ffs!
    What we need is a civil war. We need to cut the cancer of leftism out from within us. It may be painful, but tumours like Corbyn and polyps like peter must be excised if the body is to survive in a form fit for humanity. (Sorry peter )