Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hang on. So the Thais have basically kept their King's body frozen for a year before

Hang on. So the Thais have basically kept their King's body frozen for a year before

cremating him? That's bloody weird. What did they used to do before refrigeration?

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...-of-the-nation

Quote Originally Posted by Burney View Post
    cremating him? That's bloody weird. What did they used to do before refrigeration?

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...-of-the-nation
    Yes, a year's mourning prior to cremation is traditional, apparently. One assumes they would previously have embalmed the body.

I'm rather looking forward to seeing the new king's antics. He really is quite a character.

thaiprice.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Sir C View Post
    Yes, a year's mourning prior to cremation is traditional, apparently. One assumes they would previously have embalmed the body.

I'm rather looking forward to seeing the new king's antics. He really is quite a character.

thaiprice.jpg
    Yes...a 'character'. Mind you, since you can be jailed for 30 years by the generals for criticising the freak, you'd probably best not say anything while you're out there.

Yes...a 'character'. Mind you, since you can be jailed for 30 years by the generals for criticising the freak, you'd probably best not say anything while you're out there.
    Thailand's strict lese majesté laws are nothing to do with the generals. It's been the same forever, even during those periods of democracy which occasionally engulf the LOS.

Thailand's strict lese majesté laws are nothing to do with the generals. It's been the same forever, even during those periods of democracy which occasionally engulf the LOS.
    Yes, but from what I read, the generals seem particularly keen on increasing sentences.

Yes, but from what I read, the generals seem particularly keen on increasing sentences.
    That's only because they know he isn't going to be anywhere near as popular as his father, and as the monarchy is the unifying factor which stops Thailand descending into absolute chaos, they can't afford to allow any groundswell of criticism to begin to take hold or gather momentum. It's irrelevant really as it's always been the case that any disrespect towards the royal family would land you in deep, deep doodoo. When I fiurst started going in the early 90s there was a story going around, possibly apocryphal but certainly feasible, that a Nigerian tourist had been arrested for stepping on a run away bank note and thereby applying his foot to a portrait of the King, and that since Nigeria had no competent legal consular facilities, he had spent several mnths in jail.

That's only because they know he isn't going to be anywhere near as popular as his father, and as the monarchy is the unifying factor which stops Thailand descending into absolute chaos, they can't afford to allow any groundswell of criticism to begin to take hold or gather momentum. It's irrelevant really as it's always been the case that any disrespect towards the royal family would land you in deep, deep doodoo. When I fiurst started going in the early 90s there was a story going around, possibly apocryphal but certainly feasible, that a Nigerian tourist had been arrested for stepping on a run away bank note and thereby applying his foot to a portrait of the King, and that since Nigeria had no competent legal consular facilities, he had spent several mnths in jail.
    For people who seem all smiley and nice, they do seem to be quite keen on heavy-handed authoritarianism, I must say.

For people who seem all smiley and nice, they do seem to be quite keen on heavy-handed authoritarianism, I must say.
    Yes. The banner that greeted you at the old Don Muang airport which spelt out, in letters 10 feet high, 'The Penalty For Drugs Is Death' rather focussed the mind. On the other hand, there really are very few rules - or very few that are enforced, anyway. It must be about the most free and laid back society one can imagine.

Yes. The banner that greeted you at the old Don Muang airport which spelt out, in letters 10 feet high, 'The Penalty For Drugs Is Death' rather focussed the mind. On the other hand, there really are very few rules - or very few that are enforced, anyway. It must be about the most free and laid back society one can imagine.
    Yes, I gather people tend to leave you alone there too, a man can mind his own business and keep himself to himself? An old colleague of mine has been openly hiding out there in plain view, between jobs of work, for almost twenty years.
    "Plenty of strikers can score goals," he said, gesturing to the famous old stands casting shadows around us.

"But a lot have found it difficult wearing the number 9 shirt for The Arsenal."

Quote Originally Posted by redgunamo View Post
    Yes, I gather people tend to leave you alone there too, a man can mind his own business and keep himself to himself? An old colleague of mine has been openly hiding out there in plain view, between jobs of work, for almost twenty years.
    Yes, as long as a farang pops over the border to Malaysia to renew his visa every 12 months, no one cares what he does.