Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Richard Thompson review.

Quote Originally Posted by Sir C View Post
    A solo acoustic set from a guitar virtuoso, so you expect ranks of pre-tuned guitars and roadies fettling away... but no. Our man appears on stage, straps on his axe, and plays straight through a two hour set filled with self-deprecating humour and jaw-dropping guitaring.

A wonderful, wonderful show.

Fash, there was a song during which he was finger-picking and playing a bass line, but there was also a repetitive riff placed over the top which could only happen if he had three hands. It turns out he was creating this riff amidst the picking. Unbelievable, I've never seen anything like it.
    Was that during Vincent Black Lightning? I’m told it’s a technique unique to folk guitarists - of whom he is obviously the doyen.

I'm never touching a guitar again. No point.
    I just consider it something different.

I know my limits, I don't have the time to really practice enough anyway.
    If i could play any style I'd love to be able to play country rather than shreddy metal waffle.

if i am lucky I can get an hour a day in playing but not lately.

Quote Originally Posted by Burney View Post
    Was that during Vincent Black Lightning? I’m told it’s a technique unique to folk guitarists - of whom he is obviously the doyen.
    It may have occurred during the motorbicycle song but I noticed it during another.

He also did a terrific line in unreconstructed 50s rock n roll, and some rather more rocky numbers.

In more important news, Café Colbert is a Corbin and King which sits between Zedel and The Wolseley in terms of cost and formality, and is a perfect recreation of a Parisian brasserie right there in Sloane Square. I had the galette aux champignons sauvages, steak tartare and the Baba au rhum, served correctly with a glass of rum on the side. For v, the cassoulet followed by a millefeuille and r chose the chicken liver parfait and confit de canard. All was simply perfect. A very decent Pinot Noir from the Languedoc was not overpriced at £35. In short, Café Colbert joins the list.

Quote Originally Posted by SWv2 View Post
    I saw the great PW do an acoustic only gig in the RAH around 200-2001 maybe.

I was sat just stage left, no idea how I managed to get such a good seat. He did Man in the Corner Shop from Sound Affects and it was emotional.
    Did he do English Rose?

Oh, and he did 'Who Knows Where The Time Goes' as a tribute to Sandy. Beautifully.

Perhaps he was using loops like Ed Sheeran.

Quote Originally Posted by SWv2 View Post
    Perhaps he was using loops like Ed Sheeran.
    I've investigated. He doesn't. He just plays it with his fingers, man #realmusician #thesekidsknowfúckallaboutmusic

It may have occurred during the motorbicycle song but I noticed it during another.

He also did a terrific line in unreconstructed 50s rock n roll, and some rather more rocky numbers.

In more important news, Café Colbert is a Corbin and King which sits between Zedel and The Wolseley in terms of cost and formality, and is a perfect recreation of a Parisian brasserie right there in Sloane Square. I had the galette aux champignons sauvages, steak tartare and the Baba au rhum, served correctly with a glass of rum on the side. For v, the cassoulet followed by a millefeuille and r chose the chicken liver parfait and confit de canard. All was simply perfect. A very decent Pinot Noir from the Languedoc was not overpriced at £35. In short, Café Colbert joins the list.
    He certainly does something similar during Vincent Black Lightning.

Do you know, I looked at the menu briefly yesterday and guessed that would’ve what r would order.

Quote Originally Posted by Ash View Post
    Did he do English Rose?
    He did indeed.

It was memorable from the perspective that he seemed to allow himself to play more Jam and TSC songs than was normal though of course he has relaxed this further in subsequent gigs.

He gave us Art School in Dublin around 2007/8 or so, a 5 night stint in the Olympia where he changed and mixed the sets on a nightly basis.