Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Richard Thompson review.

Richard Thompson review.

A solo acoustic set from a guitar virtuoso, so you expect ranks of pre-tuned guitars and roadies fettling away... but no. Our man appears on stage, straps on his axe, and plays straight through a two hour set filled with self-deprecating humour and jaw-dropping guitaring.

A wonderful, wonderful show.

Fash, there was a song during which he was finger-picking and playing a bass line, but there was also a repetitive riff placed over the top which could only happen if he had three hands. It turns out he was creating this riff amidst the picking. Unbelievable, I've never seen anything like it.

Quote Originally Posted by Sir C View Post
    Fash, there was a song during which he was finger-picking and playing a bass line, but there was also a repetitive riff placed over the top which could only happen if he had three hands. It turns out he was creating this riff amidst the picking. Unbelievable, I've never seen anything like it.
    Sounds impressive. I used to see a band called Disciplin a Kitchme which was just bass, drums and vocals, but the bass player managed to make it sound as he was playing bass, guitar and sometimes keyboards at the same time.

A solo acoustic set from a guitar virtuoso, so you expect ranks of pre-tuned guitars and roadies fettling away... but no. Our man appears on stage, straps on his axe, and plays straight through a two hour set filled with self-deprecating humour and jaw-dropping guitaring.

Is an acoustic guitar an "axe"?

Quote Originally Posted by SWv2 View Post
    In the right hands, yes, I would say it is. That's just a personal view, of course. Others may disagree.

Quote Originally Posted by SWv2 View Post
    I quite enjoy watching the likes of Slash play a solo on an acoustic as it's rather difficult as it shows he's actually human.

I will have to check it out. I've seen some crazy stuff online that I have no idea how they do it.

Quote Originally Posted by Ash View Post
    Sounds impressive. I used to see a band called Disciplin a Kitchme which was just bass, drums and vocals, but the bass player managed to make it sound as he was playing bass, guitar and sometimes keyboards at the same time.
    Another remarkable thing was the absolute lack of ego. 50 years in the business, a hugely respected singer, guitarist and song-writer, yet all smiley and taking the píss out of his own career... remarkable fellow.

Have you ever been to Cadogan Hall? Fantastic venue. I'm guessing it's a bit like thon Upper Street chapel wossname.

Quote Originally Posted by Pat Vegas View Post
    I will have to check it out. I've seen some crazy stuff online that I have no idea how they do it.
    I'm never touching a guitar again. No point.

Another remarkable thing was the absolute lack of ego. 50 years in the business, a hugely respected singer, guitarist and song-writer, yet all smiley and taking the píss out of his own career... remarkable fellow.

Have you ever been to Cadogan Hall? Fantastic venue. I'm guessing it's a bit like thon Upper Street chapel wossname.
    No. I've not been. Looks good in the pics.

I saw the great PW do an acoustic only gig in the RAH around 200-2001 maybe.

I was sat just stage left, no idea how I managed to get such a good seat. He did Man in the Corner Shop from Sound Affects and it was emotional.