Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Apparently, the permanently outraged are complaining about 'Gunpowder' on BBC1

Apparently, the permanently outraged are complaining about 'Gunpowder' on BBC1

They say that the scenes of being pressed to death and hung, drawn and quartered were too violent and gory. One woman even said she was sick.

This seems odd to me, as I've read a fair bit around the period and its judicial punishments and in fact was complaining that the scenes in question were far too tame. The hanging, drawing and quartering in particular was far too quick. All over in seconds it was. The chap didn't even have his genitals chopped off and burned in front of him. The disembowelling was done very quickly and he was dead in no time. It was nowhere near drawn out and agonising enough. The executioner would have been in real trouble if he'd underperformed like that.

These people who complained really do need to be reminded that what they're moaning about is a very anodyne version of the true horrors people are capable of inflicting on one another. God help them if they ever have to witness representations of actual punishments of the time such as flaying alive (where boiling water was thrown over the victim to loosen up the skin before it was ripped off by tongs), breaking on the wheel (where the trussed-up victim simply had all their bones smashed with a metal bar), or the one where red hot pincers were used to rip muscle, sinews and tendons away from the still-living body for as much as an hour before death.

Human beings, eh? Lovely lot.

Quote Originally Posted by Burney View Post
    They say that the scenes of being pressed to death and hung, drawn and quartered were too violent and gory. One woman even said she was sick.

This seems odd to me, as I've read a fair bit around the period and its judicial punishments and in fact was complaining that the scenes in question were far too tame. The hanging, drawing and quartering in particular was far too quick. All over in seconds it was. The chap didn't even have his genitals chopped off and burned in front of him. The disembowelling was done very quickly and he was dead in no time. It was nowhere near drawn out and agonising enough. The executioner would have been in real trouble if he'd underperformed like that.

These people who complained really do need to be reminded that what they're moaning about is a very anodyne version of the true horrors people are capable of inflicting on one another. God help them if they ever have to witness representations of actual punishments of the time such as flaying alive (where boiling water was thrown over the victim to loosen up the skin before it was ripped off by tongs), breaking on the wheel (where the trussed-up victim simply had all their bones smashed with a metal bar), or the one where red hot pincers were used to rip muscle, sinews and tendons away from the still-living body for as much as an hour before death.

I've got that recorded. I understand there has been some outrage about the sight of a naked lady, as well.

A naked lady! Oh, the humanity!

****ing hell, b. Its barely 10 am and I am only on my second cup of tea.

I have never been entirely clear what quartering is. Also, the hanging part- is this just strangling the chap for a bit at the start? Compared to what is coming up that seems a little dull.

I dont need to hear any more about flaying......

Quote Originally Posted by Peter View Post

I have never been entirely clear what quartering is. Also, the hanging part- is this just strangling the chap for a bit at the start? Compared to what is coming up that seems a little dull.

Read an account of a breaking at the wheel. A human being reduced to a shrieking, quivering octopus-like jelly...

Quote Originally Posted by Sir C View Post
    Read an account of a breaking at the wheel. A human being reduced to a shrieking, quivering octopus-like jelly...
    I think I am going to be sick....

Quote Originally Posted by Peter View Post

Oh, the quartering was the easy bit, since one was usually dead by that stage. It simply meant being hacked into various pieces that could then be sent to various parts of the kingdom and spiked on the city gates.

Yes. Mind you, if you weren't strangled first and didn't die of smoke inhalation, burning at the stake was no picnic, either.

I've got that recorded. I understand there has been some outrage about the sight of a naked lady, as well.

A naked lady! Oh, the humanity!
    She was quite an old lady. And then she got pressed to death. That was also too quick - albeit accurately done.

Mind you, pressing (or 'peine forte et dure') was more usually reserved for those who refused to enter a plea.

She was quite an old lady. And then she got pressed to death. That was also too quick - albeit accurately done.

Mind you, pressing (or 'peine forte et dure') was more usually reserved for those who refused to enter a plea.
    Toning down the torture aside - was it actually any good. Meant to watch it on Saturday but forgot it was on

Quote Originally Posted by Luis Anaconda View Post
    Toning down the torture aside - was it actually any good. Meant to watch it on Saturday but forgot it was on
    It was OK. Mind you, it didn't do anything to suggest that Kim Harington's range extends very far beyond sounding a bit moody in a northern accent. Unlike in GoT, the programme makers also did nothing to disguise his lack of inches. Pretty much every other character - male and female - towered over him.