Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pleasing though it is to see James Corden squirm, I can't help but feel the whole

Pleasing though it is to see James Corden squirm, I can't help but feel the whole

thing is a bit fùcking ludicrous. Yes, his jokes were pretty weak and perhaps misjudged, but seeing the US entertainment industry indulge in this sudden bout of pearl-clutching about something it's very clear they've known about for decades would make a goat puke.

None of which alters my conviction that James Corden is ghastly prick, of course.

McGowan also said that CBS, who broadcast Corden’s Late Late Show should donate to a women’s charity, or they too “support rape culture”.
    The condemnation of Corden for making jokes followed the condemnation of Saturday Night Live over a week ago for not making jokes and for ignoring the story altogether.
    https://www.theguardian.com/culture/...einstein-jokes

It's all twitter's fault.

Quote Originally Posted by Burney View Post
    thing is a bit fùcking ludicrous. Yes, his jokes were pretty weak and perhaps misjudged, but seeing the US entertainment industry indulge in this sudden bout of pearl-clutching about something it's very clear they've known about for decades would make a goat puke.

None of which alters my conviction that James Corden is ghastly prick, of course.
    Has no one noticed that all of a sudden, if one says something deemed 'wrong', one is expected to engage in Cultural Revoltionesque self-criticism? It's fúcking scary.

Quote Originally Posted by Sir C View Post
    Has no one noticed that all of a sudden, if one says something deemed 'wrong', one is expected to engage in Cultural Revoltionesque self-criticism? It's fúcking scary.
    Of course. And if one is 'right', one can say virtually anything without any censure whatsoever.

The fact is, of course, is that this sort of 'outrage' is actually a tremendously convenient way for people to be seen to be saying the right things for a brief period and not actually have to do anything to address it. Co-ordinated 'outrage' in fact obfuscates, procrastinates and ultimately acts as a useful stand-in for action.

Quote Originally Posted by Ash View Post
    quite.

because there is absolutely nothing wrong in addressing someone as “You mother****ing piglet” on a public forum.

not that she was wrong, of course
    “Other clubs never came into my thoughts once I knew Arsenal wanted to sign me.”

Quote Originally Posted by Ash View Post
    I guess we're going to be seeing Rose McGowan getting cast in a fair few movies over the next year, then?

Of course. And if one is 'right', one can say virtually anything without any censure whatsoever.

The fact is, of course, is that this sort of 'outrage' is actually a tremendously convenient way for people to be seen to be saying the right things for a brief period and not actually have to do anything to address it. Co-ordinated 'outrage' in fact obfuscates, procrastinates and ultimately acts as a useful stand-in for action.
    Also, without wanting to be seen as supporting rape 'culture' it would be nice if a few more of the headlines suggesting allegations of rape had actual allegations of rape. I would never want to downplay the appalling actions of this man (heaven forbid) but attempted sexual assault (also known as 'making a pass' at someone) never used to be rape. Is it now rape?

It seems that the term 'rape culture' Is being used to bring all forms of behaviour deemed unacceptable or 'unwelcome' under the rape umbrella. It is rather confusing......

Quote Originally Posted by Peter View Post
    Also, without wanting to be seen as supporting rape 'culture' it would be nice if a few more of the headlines suggesting allegations of rape had actual allegations of rape. I would never want to downplay the appalling actions of this man (heaven forbid) but attempted sexual assault (also known as 'making a pass' at someone) never used to be rape. Is it now rape?

It seems that the term 'rape culture' Is being used to bring all forms of behaviour deemed unacceptable or 'unwelcome' under the rape umbrella. It is rather confusing......
    Everything's rape in Hollywood now, p. Unless you're Roman Polanski, of course. When he drugs, rapes and sodomises a 13 year-old girl, Hollywood types line up to say it's not 'rape-rape'.

The fact is that absolutely everyone on all sides seems so utterly dreadful as to make one despair.

Everything's rape in Hollywood now, p. Unless you're Roman Polanski, of course. When he drugs, rapes and sodomises a 13 year-old girl, Hollywood types line up to say it's not 'rape-rape'.

The fact is that absolutely everyone on all sides seems so utterly dreadful as to make one despair.
    Let's also bear in mind that all of this is taking place in a climate in which feminist commentators are given platforms to routinely argue that all intercourse is rape.

Quote Originally Posted by Monty92 View Post
    Let's also bear in mind that all of this is taking place in a climate in which feminist commentators are given platforms to routinely argue that all intercourse is rape.
    Yes. It's at the stage now that, if one mentions that Harvey Weinstein hasn't actually been convicted of anything or that Rose McGowan actually tweeted Ben Affleck's personal phone number and that's why Twitter banned her, you're a rape-enabler.

And if you suggest that certain actresses may be indulging in a degree of revisionism under the smokescreen created by this furore, you're basically worse than Weinstein.