Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Discussing my drinking habits with my doctor:

Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    Then you may want to heed his advice. Alcohol consumption raises blood pressure. As does smoking (though I'm sure you're not involved in that), as does carrying excess weight.
    2 out of 3 aint bad
    Northern Monkey ... who can't upload a bleeding Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sir C View Post
    Tell me more about this 'settling down period'.

You quit the sauce, didn't you?
    I was diagnosed with high blood pressure in 2003, it was 150/90. They sent me away for 3 weeks and told me to be healthy, relax and come back.

I cut out coffee altogether, reduced my alcohol (although not massively), generally ate better and changed my workouts to be more cardio oriented.

3 weeks later it was 118/78 and they told me to go home and be happy.

Last time it was checked I think it was similar to yours 135/85 or so which isn't bad for people our age I think.

Quote Originally Posted by World's End Stella View Post
    Ah, now this I like given that my father is still kicking about at 86 and my mother at 82. And my father smoked two packs a day when he was younger and basically never exercised a day in his life. His father passed at 83 and my mother's father at 75 despite being 8 or 9 stone overweight and diabetic.

Genetics gives me confidence Burney, although my blood pressure, love of salty food and drinking make me concerned, if I'm honest.
    Heart disease almost always runs in the family. Fortunately, my family has absolutely no history of it whatsoever. We tend to die of cancer and drink.

Quote Originally Posted by Burney View Post
    Heart disease almost always runs in the family. Fortunately, my family has absolutely no history of it whatsoever. We tend to die of cancer and drink.
    Dad died of heart problems at 50, his dad died at 50........ so I've beaten them both

Quote Originally Posted by Pokster View Post
    Dad died of heart problems at 50, his dad died at 50........ so I've beaten them both
    Good man. You may, of course inherited your mum's heart. It's funny how it works. My daughter - thankfully - seems to have inherited my mother's genes, which means she doesn't have the genes associated with certain health issues my ex had. That said, it does mean she's only about five feet tall and has tiny feet, but that's a small price to pay.

As does being bollócks ugly

Quote Originally Posted by Herbert Augustus Chapman View Post
    As does being bollócks ugly
    I'm sure your missus loves you anyway, Herb.

At least when she's inflated.

Quote Originally Posted by World's End Stella View Post
    I'm sure your missus loves you anyway, Herb.

At least when she's inflated.
    Herb will have 1 of those new fangled sex dolls.. the ones that are putting prossies out of work in Austria

Quote Originally Posted by Sir C View Post
    Tell me more about this 'settling down period'.

You quit the sauce, didn't you?
    Not at all, I simply re-tested about 5 months later when life was normal and alcohol consumption had leveled off.

My initial test was in the first or second week of January so I had the Xmas booze volumes to contend with.

I have never quit the sauce since I began.