Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Discussing my drinking habits with my doctor:

Quote Originally Posted by Sir C View Post
    15 stone! 15 stone! They're going to have to remove a wall to get the crane in to hoist out your corpse, man!
    Are you bodyshaming WES?

Two glasses of wine per night (ahem) equates to 42 units per week.

The maximum recommended is 14 units. I should reduce my intake to this level.

Doctors, eh?
    I've consumed more than 14 units in lunch hour, ffs! These units are utterly arbitrary and largely meaningless, of course.

In fact, they're widely considered to be counter-productive as, since nobody believes in them or takes them seriously, they actually discredit and undermine more sensible and realistic attempts by the medical profession to curb excessive drinking.

But of course doctors can't allow themselves to be seen as anything but finger-wagging puritans.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    Are you bodyshaming WES?
    God forbid. But 15 stone! That's getting on for 100 kg. We're in sumo wrestler territory here.

I hope his heart is good and strong

15 stone! 15 stone! They're going to have to remove a wall to get the crane in to hoist out your corpse, man!
    My body fat is reasonable though, I think. 15% or so as I recall. Given that professional athletes are just under 10% I would have thought that was ok.

I have no desire to be skinny.

Quote Originally Posted by Burney View Post
    I've consumed more than 14 units in lunch hour, ffs! These units are utterly arbitrary and largely meaningless, of course.

In fact, they're widely considered to be counter-productive as, since nobody believes in them or takes them seriously, they actually discredit and undermine more sensible and realistic attempts by the medical profession to curb excessive drinking.

But of course doctors can't allow themselves to be seen as anything but finger-wagging puritans.
    Millions off self-respecting French peasants who knock off a litre and a half of rough red per day must all die at 40 years old.

Oh.

Two glasses of wine per night (ahem) equates to 42 units per week.

The maximum recommended is 14 units. I should reduce my intake to this level.

Doctors, eh?
    I think I told you this before. I had tests and the doctor (not my GP) called me as she was very alarmed at the results of the Liver Function tests, the results being not dis similar to a person with a drink problem.

Anyhow after discussions about the previous week / weekend etc. I simply told her she was wrong and we agreed to re-do the tests after a settling down period.

Guess who was vindicated?

God forbid. But 15 stone! That's getting on for 100 kg. We're in sumo wrestler territory here.

I hope his heart is good and strong
    Well, I work out four times a week and then play hockey on Saturday which gives me a seriously good cardio workout.

And when on the bike and treadmill I monitor my heart rate which rarely goes above 140 even when peddling hard or running at 11.5 km/h.

I'm assuming that means my heart is ok. Mind you these stories about fitness nutters dropping dead of a heart attack are always a bit worrying. There was one recently, chap was the England hockey coach and a fitness addict and he had a heart attack out of nowhere.

At 46 or something.

Quote Originally Posted by SWv2 View Post
    I think I told you this before. I had tests and the doctor (not my GP) called me as she was very alarmed at the results of the Liver Function tests, the results being not dis similar to a person with a drink problem.

Anyhow after discussions about the previous week / weekend etc. I simply told her she was wrong and we agreed to re-do the tests after a settling down period.

Guess who was vindicated?
    Tell me more about this 'settling down period'.

You quit the sauce, didn't you?

Quote Originally Posted by World's End Stella View Post
    Well, I work out four times a week and then play hockey on Saturday which gives me a seriously good cardio workout.

And when on the bike and treadmill I monitor my heart rate which rarely goes above 140 even when peddling hard or running at 11.5 km/h.

I'm assuming that means my heart is ok. Mind you these stories about fitness nutters dropping dead of a heart attack are always a bit worrying. There was one recently, chap was the England hockey coach and a fitness addict and he had a heart attack out of nowhere.

At 46 or something.
    As any good actuary will tell you, your best guides to life expectancy are when and how your grandparents/parents died. Diet and exercise help, of course, but the underlying health issues tend to be congenital.

I knew a chap whose father and brother both died of heart attacks in their 40s. Given which, he looked after himself scrupulously, exercised, barely drank and certaily never smoked or took drugs. Despite all this, he had a near-fatal clutcher when he was 48 and is now pretty much treading on eggshells waiting for the next one.

You can't beat genetics, I'm afraid.
    Last edited by Burney; 10-11-2017 at 11:07 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Burney View Post
    As any good actuary will tell you, your best guides to life expectancy are when and how your grandparents/parents died. Diet and exercise help, of course, but the underlying health issues tend to be congenital.

I knew a chap whose father and brother both died of heart attacks in their 40s. Given which, he looked after himself scrupulously, exercised, barely drank and certaily never smoked or took drugs. Despite all this, he had a near-fatal clutcher when he was 48 and is now pretty much treading on eggshells waiting for the next one.

You can't beat genetics, I'm afraid.
    Ah, now this I like given that my father is still kicking about at 86 and my mother at 82. And my father smoked two packs a day when he was younger and basically never exercised a day in his life. His father passed at 83 and my mother's father at 75 despite being 8 or 9 stone overweight and diabetic.

Genetics gives me confidence Burney, although my blood pressure, love of salty food and drinking make me concerned, if I'm honest.