Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Discussing my drinking habits with my doctor:

Discussing my drinking habits with my doctor:

Two glasses of wine per night (ahem) equates to 42 units per week.

The maximum recommended is 14 units. I should reduce my intake to this level.

Doctors, eh?

Quote Originally Posted by Sir C View Post

Doctors, eh?
    I had this same discussion with my GP and his point was that looking at alcohol consumption in isolation is nonsensical.

You have to consider whether or not you smoke, take drugs and...

Yup, you're f*cked.

Quote Originally Posted by World's End Stella View Post
    I had this same discussion with my GP and his point was that looking at alcohol consumption in isolation is nonsensical.

You have to consider whether or not you smoke, take drugs and...

Yup, you're f*cked.
    Since I neither smoke nor take drugs, it would appear that your knowledge of my fúckedness or otherwise is as profound as your understanding of la joga bonito.

Doctors, eh?
    I now have three drink free evenings per week. It's actually easier than you think.

Since I neither smoke nor take drugs, it would appear that your knowledge of my fúckedness or otherwise is as profound as your understanding of la joga bonito.
    Did he take your blood pressure? If so, may I enquire into the results?

Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    Did he take your blood pressure? If so, may I enquire into the results?
    He did. 130/85.

He did. 130/85.
    Then you may want to heed his advice. Alcohol consumption raises blood pressure. As does smoking (though I'm sure you're not involved in that), as does carrying excess weight.

You've quit the fags?

I assumed you were kidding.

The other factors were size, exercise and balanced diet. Basically if you are a larger male, exercise regularly and have a balanced diet the 14 units or even 21 units is nonsense. I described something like a 40-50 unit consumption per week and his feedback was that as I exercised regularly, did not take drugs or smoke, had a balanced diet and was 6' 3" and 15 stone that there was no issue.

So I now consume about 80 units a week.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    Then you may want to heed his advice. Alcohol consumption raises blood pressure. As does smoking (though I'm sure you're not involved in that), as does carrying excess weight.
    Ah, but my cholestoral results were 'astonishingly good', I'm bang on the correct weight, exercise daily and don't eat processed food, so, apparently, I'm all good and will live forever.

I did notice that his medical degree was issued by the University of Addis Ababa, mind.

Quote Originally Posted by World's End Stella View Post
    You've quit the fags?

I assumed you were kidding.

The other factors were size, exercise and balanced diet. Basically if you are a larger male, exercise regularly and have a balanced diet the 14 units or even 21 units is nonsense. I described something like a 40-50 unit consumption per week and his feedback was that as I exercised regularly, did not take drugs or smoke, had a balanced diet and was 6' 3" and 15 stone that there was no issue.

So I now consume about 80 units a week.
    15 stone! 15 stone! They're going to have to remove a wall to get the crane in to hoist out your corpse, man!