Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 40

Thread: Messi's third was the choice of the three and for those of us that actually

  1. #21
    Quote Originally Posted by World's End Stella View Post
    ...Italian football was always pretty popular in Canada back in the day, they had games on the telly every weekend. Quite the large Italian Canadian population in Toronto.
    So you were in the country while some people were watching some Italian football which may or may not have involved the little drug cheat. Than there's the other half of his club career. I put it to you that you cannot possibly say how many times he took a touch like the little accountant last night.

  2. #22
    Quote Originally Posted by World's End Stella View Post
    Nah, you're just doing that 'a player of my generation couldn't possibly be the best ever' thing. Most people do it to be fair, but in this case we should be able to get over it.

    Maradonna's goal against England in 86, as an example. You could find Messi scoring goals like that almost every week for Barca for a few years there.

    We take him for granted just because we've seen so much of it that it's hard to put in a historical context.
    Right. A sign of the times, innit. There was a real ecstaticness and rarity about Maradona's play and achievements which Messi's patently lack, being much more robotic and, dare I say it, professional in nature.
    "Plenty of strikers can score goals," he said, gesturing to the famous old stands casting shadows around us.

    "But a lot have found it difficult wearing the number 9 shirt for The Arsenal."

  3. #23
    Quote Originally Posted by Burney View Post
    'Danish'?
    I assumed it would be your mate that bit, if I'm honest

  4. #24
    Quote Originally Posted by Burney View Post
    Nothing to do with 'character'. It's about achievements on the pitch. Maradona performed miracles with teams of ordinary players around him. Messi's achievements have been in teams full of superstars.
    Messi performs miracles far more often than Maradonna did, his teammates certainly contributed to that however that doesn't change the fact that for a few years he was routinely performing at a level that Maradonna achieved only rarely even when at Barca.

  5. #25
    Comparison of players from very different eras is a futile exercise.

  6. #26
    Quote Originally Posted by World's End Stella View Post
    Messi performs miracles far more often than Maradonna did, his teammates certainly contributed to that however that doesn't change the fact that for a few years he was routinely performing at a level that Maradonna achieved only rarely even when at Barca.
    'Even when at Barca'? His early spell at Barca was one of the least happy of his career. He was in his pomp as a club footballer while at Napoli.

    Based on this and other stuff you've come out with, I'm going to go out on a limb here and say you've no fvcking idea what you're on about.

  7. #27
    Quote Originally Posted by SWv2 View Post
    Comparison of players from very different eras is a futile exercise.
    Of course, but so is most discussion of football amongst fans when it comes down to it.

  8. #28
    Quote Originally Posted by Burney View Post
    'Even when at Barca'? His early spell at Barca was one of the least happy of his career. He was in his pomp as a club footballer while at Napoli.

    Based on this and other stuff you've come out with, I'm going to go out on a limb here and say you've no fvcking idea what you're on about.
    He was at Barca, the fact that he made little of his time there should surely factor into analysis of his career and can't simply be dismissed because it is inconsistent with your view.

    And I love the idea that he spent his career surrounded by ordinary players. Because the Argentinian national team is routinely populated by utterly average players.

    Based on this, I'm going to go out on a limb here and say you've no fvcking idea what you're on about.

  9. #29
    Quote Originally Posted by Ash View Post
    Of course, but so is most discussion of football amongst fans when it comes down to it.
    ANY discussion of football which attempts to argue such questions as 'best player' or 'biggest club' can be immediately dismissed as the deranged droolings of a retard.

  10. #30
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir C View Post
    ANY discussion of football which attempts to argue such questions as 'best player' or 'biggest club' can be immediately dismissed as the deranged droolings of a retard.
    Sure. But that doesn't stop it being very much the lifeblood of discussion among football fans.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •