Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
Results 51 to 60 of 88

Thread: This Harvey Weinstein fellow; he's clearly something of a knob.

  1. #51
    Quote Originally Posted by Burney View Post
    It sounds to me like a lot of those who knowingly and consensually took the horizontal route to stardom are now using this to rewirite history by talking tearfully of how they were 'abused' as opposed to having entered into a mutually-beneficial compact with their eyes (and legs) open.

    See Gwyneth Paltrow and Angelina Jolie's 'confessions' for examples of this.
    One small part of a growing trend of modern women showing a preference for playing the victim over embracing the notion of accountability. One can accept that one 'did what it took to get to the top' or that one was a victim of a man abusing his power. Both are arguably true.

    I am afraid I see this at work all the time. Scores of women ruthlessly and shamelessly forcing their way into management roles. Once there they demonstrate a thoroughly one-dimensional view of 'responsibility' ...they embrace the power but are seemingly incapable of accepting the fact that being responsible for something entails being accountable for it going wrong. THe minute is goes wrong the finger pointing starts, the blame shifting and, inevitably, the accusations of sexism/racism/take your pick.

    Accountability is a thing of the past eplaced by the idea that by definition a victim can never be to blame.

    Rant over

  2. #52
    Quote Originally Posted by Burney View Post
    It sounds to me like a lot of those who knowingly and consensually took the horizontal route to stardom are now using this to rewirite history by talking tearfully of how they were 'abused' as opposed to having entered into a mutually-beneficial compact with their eyes (and legs) open.

    See Gwyneth Paltrow and Angelina Jolie's 'confessions' for examples of this.
    You want them to give their Oscars back?

    Seriously, all this sort of thing doesn't really do anybody any good, does it.
    "Plenty of strikers can score goals," he said, gesturing to the famous old stands casting shadows around us.

    "But a lot have found it difficult wearing the number 9 shirt for The Arsenal."

  3. #53
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter View Post
    One small part of a growing trend of modern women showing a preference for playing the victim over embracing the notion of accountability. One can accept that one 'did what it took to get to the top' or that one was a victim of a man abusing his power. Both are arguably true.

    I am afraid I see this at work all the time. Scores of women ruthlessly and shamelessly forcing their way into management roles. Once there they demonstrate a thoroughly one-dimensional view of 'responsibility' ...they embrace the power but are seemingly incapable of accepting the fact that being responsible for something entails being accountable for it going wrong. THe minute is goes wrong the finger pointing starts, the blame shifting and, inevitably, the accusations of sexism/racism/take your pick.

    Accountability is a thing of the past eplaced by the idea that by definition a victim can never be to blame.

    Rant over
    My word, P. Have you ever considered becoming a Lefty?
    "Plenty of strikers can score goals," he said, gesturing to the famous old stands casting shadows around us.

    "But a lot have found it difficult wearing the number 9 shirt for The Arsenal."

  4. #54
    Quote Originally Posted by redgunamo View Post
    You want them to give their Oscars back?

    Seriously, all this sort of thing doesn't really do anybody any good, does it.
    Well they largely got them because Weinstein was infamously zealous in the Oscar campaigns on behalf of his films, so if they’re being consistent and not utterly hypocritical...yes.

  5. #55
    Quote Originally Posted by redgunamo View Post
    My word, P. Have you ever considered becoming a Lefty?
    THis has nothing to do with high politics. Its the creeping social politics that Sir C is always blithering on about.

    In my day only the weak willed allowed themselves to be viewed as victims. These days its a badge of honour.

    In fact, it is merely an excuse.

  6. #56
    Quote Originally Posted by Burney View Post
    Well they largely got them because Weinstein was infamously zealous in the Oscar campaigns on behalf of his films, so if they’re being consistent and not utterly hypocritical...yes.
    Of course, but if it's been traditional to qualify for awards that way, going back decades, where will it all end.

    As I said, this sort of thing doesn't really do anybody any good.
    "Plenty of strikers can score goals," he said, gesturing to the famous old stands casting shadows around us.

    "But a lot have found it difficult wearing the number 9 shirt for The Arsenal."

  7. #57
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter View Post
    THis has nothing to do with high politics. Its the creeping social politics that Sir C is always blithering on about.

    In my day only the weak willed allowed themselves to be viewed as victims. These days its a badge of honour.

    In fact, it is merely an excuse.
    The high, the middle and the low politics is all one and the same thing, ain't it? At least it ought to be.

    And it's not "merely" an excuse. It can be an extremely lucrative path to take, that of victimhood. That's why practically everybody is trying to get in on it.
    Last edited by redgunamo; 10-11-2017 at 01:14 PM.
    "Plenty of strikers can score goals," he said, gesturing to the famous old stands casting shadows around us.

    "But a lot have found it difficult wearing the number 9 shirt for The Arsenal."

  8. #58
    Senior Member PSRB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Manchester
    Posts
    11,319
    Quote Originally Posted by World's End Stella View Post
    I didn't condemn Evans at the time because it seemed to me that he had an awfully strong argument that he was unjustly convicted so it seemed sensible to wait and let the judicial process complete before passing judgment.

    My view of Weinstein is that there seems to be overwhelming evidence against him and his complete silence seems to suggest he's guilty. Although I wouldn't condemn him completely at this point, my point was that what he is being accused of is not just a bit of slap and tickle that can be easily dismissed, it needs to be treated seriously.
    I would imagine his complete silence is down to his lawyers.

  9. #59
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter View Post
    THis has nothing to do with high politics. Its the creeping social politics that Sir C is always blithering on about.

    In my day only the weak willed allowed themselves to be viewed as victims. These days its a badge of honour.

    In fact, it is merely an excuse.
    Thank you peter.

  10. #60
    Quote Originally Posted by PSRB View Post
    I would imagine his complete silence is down to his lawyers.
    He released a statement the other day, in response to the original New York Times bombshell article. You know, about how he intends to channel his grief into bantering off the NRA or something
    "Plenty of strikers can score goals," he said, gesturing to the famous old stands casting shadows around us.

    "But a lot have found it difficult wearing the number 9 shirt for The Arsenal."

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •