Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I finished watching Simon Sebag Montefiore's Jerusalem documentary series last night.

I finished watching Simon Sebag Montefiore's Jerusalem documentary series last night.

Overall I thought it was very good. Doubtless many will have objections based on political and/or religious preferences, as after all, he is trying to be fair, balanced and unbiased towards all sides, but I was impressed. And then spent the night sleeping terribly with constant nightmares about endless battles and conflicts in the holy city.

Quote Originally Posted by Ash View Post
    Overall I thought it was very good. Doubtless many will have objections based on political and/or religious preferences, as after all, he is trying to be fair, balanced and unbiased towards all sides, but I was impressed. And then spent the night sleeping terribly with constant nightmares about endless battles and conflicts in the holy city.
    Theoretically, I quite fancy visiting Jerusalem due to all the history and that.

However, I strongly suspect that, as a tourist destination, it’s a fùcking dump.

Quote Originally Posted by Burney View Post
    Theoretically, I quite fancy visiting Jerusalem due to all the history and that.

However, I strongly suspect that, as a tourist destination, it’s a fùcking dump.
    I went a few years ago - it does suffer a bit from that in places but still some magnificent sights. Really weird standing outside the Garden of Gethsemane and realising **** it's all real. The Wailing wall is a giggle as well. Was only there on a daytrip from Egypt (literally a day - left the hotel at 2am arrived back 2am next day, press trips, eh).

I watched Starkey's Reformation documentary and was disappointed to realise it wasn't a several parter.

It basically ended with Thomas More getting the Allan treatment to his neck, which seemed a rather abrupt moment to close the story.

Quote Originally Posted by Burney View Post

A friend went on his own, and didn't realise how dangerous it was wandering in the muslim quarter until he was part of a group that got a Palestinian police guard. He wasn't allowed in or even near the Al-Aqsa Mosque or the Dome on the Rock because he was Christian and therefore unclean.

Amazing architecture though in the old city.

A friend went on his own, and didn't realise how dangerous it was wandering in the muslim quarter until he was part of a group that got a Palestinian police guard. He wasn't allowed in or even near the Al-Aqsa Mosque or the Dome on the Rock because he was Christian and therefore unclean.

Amazing architecture though in the old city.
    Wouldn't have fancied it on my own, I have to say. Are these docs on the Beeb?

Did you think the Holy Book was some kind of

Quote Originally Posted by Luis Anaconda View Post
    Really weird standing outside the Garden of Gethsemane and realising **** it's all real. .
    fairy tale? I'll cut out your blaspheming tongue.

Quote Originally Posted by Herbert Augustus Chapman View Post
    fairy tale? I'll cut out your blaspheming tongue.
    Of course, the whole God thing is - the settings are true though

BBC4 is your friend
    10 characters? Pile of cund.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b01852x1