Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Thread: Did anyone watch the new BBC series about the British army in Aden in the 60s?

Did anyone watch the new BBC series about the British army in Aden in the 60s?

The first episode was on Sunday.

It was shíte.

Quote Originally Posted by Sir C View Post

It was shíte.
    I recorded it. Is there any gunplay and mass slaughter of arabs or is it all boring soppy böllocks?

Quote Originally Posted by Burney View Post
    I recorded it. Is there any gunplay and mass slaughter of arabs or is it all boring soppy böllocks?
    It's all just a bit limp, really, and mainly just a handy vehicle for British Empire bashing.

It's all just a bit limp, really, and mainly just a handy vehicle for British Empire bashing.
    My fellow Old Whitgiftian Lt Col Colin Campbell 'Mad Mitch' Mitchell famously ended the Aden business by leading the Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders into battle with the pipes playing - the last time a Scottish regiment went in with the pipes.

He also described it thus: 'It was like shooting grouse, a brace here and a brace there'." Bloody lunatic.

Quote Originally Posted by Burney View Post
    My fellow Old Whitgiftian Lt Col Colin Campbell 'Mad Mitch' Mitchell famously ended the Aden business by leading the Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders into battle with the pipes playing - the last time a Scottish regiment went in with the pipes.

He also described it thus: 'It was like shooting grouse, a brace here and a brace there'." Bloody lunatic.
    There was nothing of such interest on Sunday. A quite attractive drunken lady got boned, but that was the extent of the action, really.

There was nothing of such interest on Sunday. A quite attractive drunken lady got boned, but that was the extent of the action, really.
    I'd hope they'd introduce Mad Mitch. He's the ideal character for a bit of empire-bashing, as he was an anachronism who rather rashly openly admitted the commission of war crimes by his troops.

It was shíte.
    I did as it was sort of recommended in the Culture or whatever section of The Times.

It was utter shíte and i am being generous. Shocking.

There was one point where the Taliban or whoever were clambering over rocks in order to try and get a clean shot. Good Jesus.

It was shíte.
    Oh dear - that is a shame. I recorded it too but may not bother watching now.

Apparently American Vandal on Netflix is good.

It was a moderately entertaining story with very little history, as such.

But I shall be watching all of it as I found the miserable, alcoholic military wife with her bit on the side insanely sexy.

Oh yes.