Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Tom Petty gone

Quote Originally Posted by eastgermanautos View Post
    Astroturfing, as I'm sure you know, is when a practitioner pretends to be "down-home," local, one of the boys, country, etc. It's often a ploy practiced by corporations or politicians. They pretend to be real Kansans but in fact they're some sh!tfvcks straight from NY's Upper East Side.

Anyway, I must admit I was a bit wrong about Springsteen. I had thought that he spent some time in high school in California. This would have been another form of astroturfing: pretending that one is from blue-collar New Jersey, while actually hanging with the cool kids out in Cali. Now it seems that his *parents relocated to Cali, while Bruce stayed in Jersey. So he is at least from Jersey, and emerged from Jersey. At the same time I do detect a degree of posing there, particularly in the aggressive claiming of the blue-collar mantle. I don't trust it, in fact it annoys me. I grew up close to there, in Maryland, so he's always represented the kind of BS one has to reckon with in one's early days. Fake bards, ad-men, people trying to appropriate whatever is authentic in one's life...
    If it's lack of authenticity you're after, you probably ought to start with Bob Dylan, tbh. A nice, middle-class Jewish boy from Duluth Minnesota who basically spent his early career pretending to have been a boxcar-riding drifter poet a la Woody Guthrie. A complete fraud.

Quote Originally Posted by Burney View Post
    If it's lack of authenticity you're after, you probably ought to start with Bob Dylan, tbh. A nice, middle-class Jewish boy from Duluth Minnesota who basically spent his early career pretending to have been a boxcar-riding drifter poet a la Woody Guthrie. A complete fraud.
    Kebab, was it? Hmm?

Quote Originally Posted by Sir C View Post
    Kebab, was it? Hmm?
    Actually, no. I'd forgotten I'd made some Chicken tikka on Saturday. I consumed it standing up in the kitchen wrapped in a naan bread with mint and cucumber raita and a tomato and onion salad.

Petty was good, not just OK. He wasn't great and only occasionally very good, but he was good.

I thought he had quite the impact on those Wilbury chaps who had a few excellent songs. And Learning to Fly is awfully foot tappable.

And he never did anything as bad as Cover Me. So there.

Actually, no. I'd forgotten I'd made some Chicken tikka on Saturday. I consumed it standing up in the kitchen wrapped in a naan bread with mint and cucumber raita and a tomato and onion salad.
    Funny, that. Tonight I am doing some Greek-style lamb chops with Greek salad and tzatziki, which is pretty much the same thing, isn't it?

why were you wrapped in a naan bread
    Northern Monkey ... who can't upload a bleeding Avatar

Funny, that. Tonight I am doing some Greek-style lamb chops with Greek salad and tzatziki, which is pretty much the same thing, isn't it?
    Basically, yes. You will emerge stinking of garlic and cumin, I trust?

Quote Originally Posted by Pokster View Post
    why were you wrapped in a naan bread
    'Cos that's how your mum likes me.

Basically, yes. You will emerge stinking of garlic and cumin, I trust?
    Certainly. The lamb is already submerged in a marinade of garlic, lemon zest, cumin and oregano.*

*If in doubt, throw the kitchen sink at it.

Certainly. The lamb is already submerged in a marinade of garlic, lemon zest, cumin and oregano.*

*If in doubt, throw the kitchen sink at it.
    But no salt?