Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Tom Petty gone

Quote Originally Posted by Sir C View Post
    There must be Tom Petty fanatics out there but one does rather wonder why.

On the other hand, he was clearly greatly respected by his peers. Dylan and Springsteen are both said to be great fans of his work, for example. And they should know, I suppose.
    Life goes on, my friends. Life is for the living. As far as Tom Petty, I think it was his name, which is analagous to Richard Petty, NASCAR Driver. So it was like you were getting two hits of straight-up Americana for the price of one. Listen to this Tom Petty song, get three free sparkplugs.

Quote Originally Posted by eastgermanautos View Post
    Life goes on, my friends. Life is for the living. As far as Tom Petty, I think it was his name, which is analagous to Richard Petty, NASCAR Driver. So it was like you were getting two hits of straight-up Americana for the price of one. Listen to this Tom Petty song, get three free sparkplugs.

Same thing worked for Born in the USA. You people do love droning on about your country and looking at your flag.

And guns. You love guns. All of you.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter View Post
    Same thing worked for Born in the USA. You people do love droning on about your country and looking at your flag.

And guns. You love guns. All of you.
    Don't get me started on Springsteen. He can lick my mid-Atlantic ballsack. Fake astroturfing wannabe blue-collar fool. In terms of guns, sure, why not? Hunting purposes. And hunting of the human is the greatest game.

(Just kidding. Although not about Springsteen.)

Don't get me started on Springsteen. He can lick my mid-Atlantic ballsack. Fake astroturfing wannabe blue-collar fool. In terms of guns, sure, why not? Hunting purposes. And hunting of the human is the greatest game.

Fake astroturfing wannabe blue collar fool?

You are going to have to help me with the astroturfing bit. Oh, and the fake. THe blue collar fool bit I get- we can 'park' that, as I believe you fellas are fond of saying.

Lights blue touch paper and waits for Sir C to explode
    Northern Monkey ... who can't upload a bleeding Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Pokster View Post
    Lights blue touch paper and waits for Sir C to explode
    One never stoops to debating with the Yanqui, p. They are, essentially, children, and should be treated as such.

Fake astroturfing wannabe blue collar fool?

You are going to have to help me with the astroturfing bit. Oh, and the fake. THe blue collar fool bit I get- we can 'park' that, as I believe you fellas are fond of saying.
    Astroturfing, as I'm sure you know, is when a practitioner pretends to be "down-home," local, one of the boys, country, etc. It's often a ploy practiced by corporations or politicians. They pretend to be real Kansans but in fact they're some sh!tfvcks straight from NY's Upper East Side.

Anyway, I must admit I was a bit wrong about Springsteen. I had thought that he spent some time in high school in California. This would have been another form of astroturfing: pretending that one is from blue-collar New Jersey, while actually hanging with the cool kids out in Cali. Now it seems that his *parents relocated to Cali, while Bruce stayed in Jersey. So he is at least from Jersey, and emerged from Jersey. At the same time I do detect a degree of posing there, particularly in the aggressive claiming of the blue-collar mantle. I don't trust it, in fact it annoys me. I grew up close to there, in Maryland, so he's always represented the kind of BS one has to reckon with in one's early days. Fake bards, ad-men, people trying to appropriate whatever is authentic in one's life...

One never stoops to debating with the Yanqui, p. They are, essentially, children, and should be treated as such.
    Good point.... gun owning kids
    Northern Monkey ... who can't upload a bleeding Avatar

I dont think I have ever met anyone who genuinely liked his music.

I mean, its alright...
    He's one of these people Americans seem to like, but whose music doesn't really translate anywhere else.

There was an NRA chap on the Today programme this morning. Lord, but their arguments are pisspoor! Pointing out that people die because of things other than guns really isn't an argument for being allowed to own guns.

Ultimately, they just love owning guns and see high rates of gun deaths as an acceptable price to pay for their right to do so. Fair enough, but I wish they'd just be honest.