Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Tom Petty gone

Quote Originally Posted by Sir C View Post
    No salt.

On Sunday I momentarily was able to breathe through my right nostril for the first time in 20 years. It soon re-blocked itself but it made me wonder whether maybe, just maybe, my tubes might actually recover...
    I dreamed that someone offered me a line which, as I snorted it, turned out to be orange caviar.

There must be Tom Petty fanatics out there but one does rather wonder why.

On the other hand, he was clearly greatly respected by his peers. Dylan and Springsteen are both said to be great fans of his work, for example. And they should know, I suppose.
    I would have thought TP was right up your musical street.

That is not an insult by the way, merely an observation. An incorrect one as it goes.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter View Post
    I think I understand, although the message I am getting here is that you know you were wrong, as of course you were/are.

The irony with all of this is that his work is hugely auto-biographical. He is simultaneously accused of being boring because of this and fake because, well, he is claiming to be something he is not.

THe Jersey/California thing is pure laziness on the part of people looking for a stick to beat him with.

I am amazed people cant find more in his music to attack him for. When you have to go to the guy and where he grew up it feels like a losing game from the off. Some of his music is ****
    You know, this is an interesting topic, and I am gathering materials for a script about it. It's not only an American problem though. In England in the 19th century there was a lot of striving after epic forms, romances. This required an assessment of whether something was legitimate. Macpherson's Ossian of course was not an ancient Gaelic text, but was a fake created by Macpherson himself. Not to say that the result is devoid of quality. I actually, dare I admit it, like Ossian.

I like the classic Springsteen but I wrestle with the unselective Springsteen. Who doesn't like Darlington County or Nebraska? It's that stuff he did in the 90s or early 2000s which is problematic. He uses the blue-collar mantle to start yammering on about post-9/11 themes. In other words, he's parodying himself. Because I had questions about the authenticity of the original, I have those questions doubly when it concerns something which feels tendentious, rabble-rousing, coercive to the norm.

He's very very talented, but can we decide what's good and what's not good. Can we say to Springsteen, No, sir. Not that one!

I most certainly do not.

Quote Originally Posted by eastgermanautos View Post
    You know, this is an interesting topic, and I am gathering materials for a script about it. It's not only an American problem though. In England in the 19th century there was a lot of striving after epic forms, romances. This required an assessment of whether something was legitimate. Macpherson's Ossian of course was not an ancient Gaelic text, but was a fake created by Macpherson himself. Not to say that the result is devoid of quality. I actually, dare I admit it, like Ossian.

I like the classic Springsteen but I wrestle with the unselective Springsteen. Who doesn't like Darlington County or Nebraska? It's that stuff he did in the 90s or early 2000s which is problematic. He uses the blue-collar mantle to start yammering on about post-9/11 themes. In other words, he's parodying himself. Because I had questions about the authenticity of the original, I have those questions doubly when it concerns something which feels tendentious, rabble-rousing, coercive to the norm.

He's very very talented, but can we decide what's good and what's not good. Can we say to Springsteen, No, sir. Not that one!
    I dont like Darlington County.

I dont like Darlington County.
    I don't believe you. It's you and Wayne, Pete, on the 4th of Jooly.

I don't believe you. It's you and Wayne, Pete, on the 4th of Jooly.
    Its another of his songs with disturbing references to young girls. Too many on that album....

Its another of his songs with disturbing references to young girls. Too many on that album....
    There's nothing wrong with young girls, p. Your tastes are obviously more inclined towards the young boys, nad God knows there's nothing wrong with that, but young girls are also cool.

It's a tale of young love thwarted by the friggin Po-lease.

Which, moreover, is followed by another song on the same topic, Workin on the Highway

It's a tale of young love thwarted by the friggin Po-lease.

Which, moreover, is followed by another song on the same topic, Workin on the Highway
    Yes, another that ranks alongside the worst he has ever recorded. In Working on the Highway he is actually arrested for what I assume is statutory rape.

As I dont believe he has ever personally fallen foul of this particular law, the song is not only dreadful and inappropriate, it also make him a bit of a fake. Claiming to be a ***** when he isn't. Typical!

Then we have the sexual predator in I'm On Fire, enquiringly as to whether the little girl's daddy is home. Its just all kinds of wrong.....