Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Tom Petty gone

Quote Originally Posted by Burney View Post
    You're going to start wiffling on about how much better your new, straight-edge lifestyle makes you feel, aren't you?
    Oh Lord yes, and with a ridiculously smug, sanctimonious tone.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter View Post
    That's ok though. Tapping into an american tradition is fine, particularly as he was from the back arse of nowhere. If you are born and raised in the posh part of Manhattan it would be a bit ****ing much.

Also, its Dylan. He can do whatever he likes and we can all go and **** ourselves.
    I didn't say it detracted from his music, just that it makes his wild west obsession seem a bit odd.

I didn't say it detracted from his music, just that it makes his wild west obsession seem a bit odd.
    You attacked his authenticity, b. For many that would detract from the music.

Quote Originally Posted by bbrian View Post
    ...dead again now it seems
    Would you be cross with me if I were to tell you that today is the first time I have heard the name 'Tom Petty', that I am confused with the gushing going on over the news and that I couldn't name a single piece of music that he's performed?

Isn't that what we normally refer to as growing up?
    Waiting to die, more like.

Quote Originally Posted by Sir C View Post
    Waiting to die, more like.
    You say tomato....

You attacked his authenticity, b. For many that would detract from the music.
    For cùnts it might. I'm an adult and have long since realised that 'authenticity' is a childish snare and a delusion. The idea of 'authenticity' in pop music is so absurd as to be funny, in fact. Do these people think less of Adam Ant because he wasn't really a pirate?

For cùnts it might. I'm an adult and have long since realised that 'authenticity' is a childish snare and a delusion. The idea of 'authenticity' in pop music is so absurd as to be funny, in fact. Do these people think less of Adam Ant because he wasn't really a pirate?
    Agreed. However...... there is perhaps a higher standard when one writes songs as a vehicle for social change. In the same way, I care little if a politician wishes to spend an evening with coke and hoookers. If he spends his working day lecturing the rest of us on family values and drug law then I have a bit of an issue with it.

As I say, with Dylan is really doesnt matter at all. Did you see the fuss people made when they realised that Billy Bragg lives in a fairly large house?

You say tomato....
    I most certainly do not.

Quote Originally Posted by Sir C View Post
    I most certainly do not.
    Sorry, I thought you did. My mistake.