Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: So that's it then, the UK is well and truly f*cked and it's time to emigrate

Quote Originally Posted by World's End Stella View Post
    according to what the Times describes as 'a centre-right think tank', 83 per cent of the public favour public ownership of water companies, 77 per cent of electricity and gas companies and 76 per cent of the railways.

Utterly astonishing.

Ahh well, every cloud.......
    Northern Monkey ... who can't upload a bleeding Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Burney View Post
    This is no surprise. The Bennite left has always been anti-EU.
    Yes, but many on the Bennite left may not have voted for Labour for decades - now they have reason to with a pro-Brexit socialst leader.

I also think the enthusiasm for nationalisation has spread beyond militant leftists and is now shared by a broader section of the populace, which is worrying.
    Last edited by Monty92; 09-29-2017 at 10:07 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Luis Anaconda View Post
    Could have told you that years ago
    Any views on the Cherman rail system v Britain's?

Quote Originally Posted by Ash View Post
    Any views on the Cherman rail system v Britain's?
    Yes - on the whole I'm shocked that Berni's been on public transport. On the whole it is excellent here, but generally I've found it to be pretty good in the UK, too, for longer distances ie Edinburgh, going down to Cornwall. What I don't think you would get here is the debacle of Southern Rail which really isn't fit for business for example (though as I am sure someone will point out London and the south east and the number of people wanting to get around is something of an anomaly)

Quote Originally Posted by World's End Stella View Post
    according to what the Times describes as 'a centre-right think tank', 83 per cent of the public favour public ownership of water companies, 77 per cent of electricity and gas companies and 76 per cent of the railways.

Utterly astonishing.

Sweet baby Jesus.

Utter ****ery.

Yes - on the whole I'm shocked that Berni's been on public transport. On the whole it is excellent here, but generally I've found it to be pretty good in the UK, too, for longer distances ie Edinburgh, going down to Cornwall. What I don't think you would get here is the debacle of Southern Rail which really isn't fit for business for example (though as I am sure someone will point out London and the south east and the number of people wanting to get around is something of an anomaly)
    I would point out that the Southern Rail fiasco stems pretty much entirely from the unions resisting technological progress and attempting to keep people employed who are no longer needed, thus forcing up prices for the consumer.

On the whole, though, I'd agree with your summation. Neither significantly better nor worse. The one thing that's better in Germany is double-decker trains, which I assume we can't have because of our Victorian bridges being too low or whatever.

French trains, while very swish if you're on the (very expensive) TGV, are actually pretty old, tatty and slow on other routes.
    Last edited by Burney; 09-29-2017 at 10:31 AM.

I would point out that the Southern Rail fiasco stems pretty much entirely from the unions resisting technological progress and attempting to keep people employed who are no longer needed, thus forcing up prices for the consumer.

On the whole, though, I'd agree with your summation. Neither significantly better nor worse. The one thing that's better in Germany is double-decker trains, which I assume we can't have because of our Victorian bridges being too low or whatever.

French trains, while very swish if you're on the TGV, are actually pretty old, tatty and slow on other routes.
    Double decker trains are indeed ace. Haven't been on a French train in about 30years. Probably still the same

Quote Originally Posted by Monty92 View Post
    Yes, but many on the Bennite left may not have voted for Labour for decades - now they have reason to with a pro-Brexit socialst leader.

I also think the enthusiasm for nationalisation has spread beyond militant leftists and is now shared by a broader section of the populace, which is worrying.
    This would be funny if it weren't so utterly terrifying.

23% of actual humans walking around out there freely want nationalised travel agents? Is this East Germany? Who even uses travel agents anymore?

DK4HSURW0AEWFP6.jpg-large.jpg

Double decker trains are indeed ace. Haven't been on a French train in about 30years. Probably still the same
    My experience last week was blighted because my train from Rostock to Hamburg was 10 minutes late. No big deal, you might think, but I'd had a hard couple of weeks and was finally heading home. I was set up in my seat upstairs with my bottle of beer and sandwich from the Crobag on the platform. I had everything neatly arranged for a nice, quiet trip. And then, 9 minutes after we're supposed to have left, I see a horde of school kids running up the platform. And naturally, they pile into my nice, quiet carriage, shouting the odds, running around, kicking seats, banging windows and generally being little cünts. Oh, I thought, maybe they'll get off before Hamburg? No. All the way to Hamburg Hauptbahnhof surrounded by the little shíts and their utterly ineffectual (and almost certainly communist) teachers.

I was fewmin and no mistake.

My experience last week was blighted because my train from Rostock to Hamburg was 10 minutes late. No big deal, you might think, but I'd had a hard couple of weeks and was finally heading home. I was set up in my seat upstairs with my bottle of beer and sandwich from the Crobag on the platform. I had everything neatly arranged for a nice, quiet trip. And then, 9 minutes after we're supposed to have left, I see a horde of school kids running up the platform. And naturally, they pile into my nice, quiet carriage, shouting the odds, running around, kicking seats, banging windows and generally being little cünts. Oh, I thought, maybe they'll get off before Hamburg? No. All the way to Hamburg Hauptbahnhof surrounded by the little shíts and their utterly ineffectual (and almost certainly communist) teachers.

I was fewmin and no mistake.
    Nationalised or privatised kids are still loud ****s I am afraid. Couple of times recently I have got off the ubahn when a class of the little ****ers have got on: German kids are especially noisy