Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Excellent. Seems the media has decided it's going to pretend to be morally outraged

Quote Originally Posted by Burney View Post
    He has previous for what? Being a young man with a taste for drink and misbehaviour? I don't remember being a saint in my 20s, either, to be honest.

I think there's more than a hint of sanctimony about here.
    or my 30's

Quote Originally Posted by Pokster View Post
    As SW says, if he was a foootballer he would be given even more grief than he has so far.

Do you think he should be allowed to go on the Ashes tour after this?

So you think knocking some bloke out while he was backing away is "normal" behaviour???

If it wasn't an England player and we were about to play the Ashes you wouldn't be getting your knickers in a twist
    I doubt he would, actually. If he were a footballer, it would be expected and a bit meh. It's precisely because he's a cricketer that this is unusual.

I think he should be allowed to go on the Ashes tour because he hasn't actually been convicted of anything yet and because - even if he is - it's not actually that big a deal. I wouldn't say knocking people out is 'normal', but if every bloke who as a young man has got pïssed and punched someone were to be convicted for it and have their professional life blighted for it, we'd have an awful lot of criminal records knocking about. Getting into fights isn't particularly clever or dignified, but it happens, has always happened and will always happen. Throwing our hands up in horror about this one instance of something you can see in any town centre on a Friday night is just silly.

Quote Originally Posted by Pokster View Post
    As SW says, if he was a foootballer he would be given even more grief than he has so far.
    This is just specious *******s to be honest. He's plastered all over the papers - effectively been tried in the kangaroo court of public opinion and given a right metaphorical kicking. Some people have stood up for him - almost exactly what would have happened if he was a footballer
    Do you think he should be allowed to go on the Ashes tour after this?
    Yep
    So you think knocking some bloke out while he was backing away is "normal" behaviour???
    In Bristol, yes
    If it wasn't an England player and we were about to play the Ashes you wouldn't be getting your knickers in a twist
    No. We need him

I doubt he would, actually. If he were a footballer, it would be expected and a bit meh. It's precisely because he's a cricketer that this is unusual.

I think he should be allowed to go on the Ashes tour because he hasn't actually been convicted of anything yet and because - even if he is - it's not actually that big a deal. I wouldn't say knocking people out is 'normal', but if every bloke who as a young man has got pïssed and punched someone were to be convicted for it and have their professional life blighted for it, we'd have an awful lot of criminal records knocking about. Getting into fights isn't particularly clever or dignified, but it happens, has always happened and will always happen. Throwing our hands up in horror about this one instance of something you can see in any town centre on a Friday night is just silly.
    GLWTP imo....
    Northern Monkey ... who can't upload a bleeding Avatar

Can we just get real for a moment. If this were england's best footballer and the competition coming up was a World Cup there is no ****ing way the player would end up missing it over this incident. A footballer would be playing for his club this weekend.

I dont like him smacking the geezer when he was backing away but.....it appears this chap was threatening some gay men, wielded a bottle and there are also separate reports of them trying to start fights elsewhere earlier in the night.

If all of that is true, and I stress IF, then the chap deserved a kicking and can consider himself fortunate it wasnt a lot worse.

I have little sympathy for him. Stokes's needs to appreciate he cant get himself in these situations and needs to grow up. But the guy on the floor worthy facial injuries- **** him.

Indeed.

I am tempted to add "end of" in order to bring this debate to a conclusion.

No, his professional life will not be blighted, will it. He's got pots of money already and no-one has suggested he be hounded from the game forever, have they. He can still play IPL, I suppose, or do some punditing.

Damn silly business though, and a shame, but representing your country, in any capacity, is a privilege, not a right.
    "Plenty of strikers can score goals," he said, gesturing to the famous old stands casting shadows around us.

"But a lot have found it difficult wearing the number 9 shirt for The Arsenal."

Quote Originally Posted by Peter View Post
    Can we just get real for a moment. If this were england's best footballer and the competition coming up was a World Cup there is no ****ing way the player would end up missing it over this incident. A footballer would be playing for his club this weekend.
    Well, obviously; football, and footballers, is worth alot more money than cricket. Punish the miscreant, not everyone else.
    "Plenty of strikers can score goals," he said, gesturing to the famous old stands casting shadows around us.

"But a lot have found it difficult wearing the number 9 shirt for The Arsenal."

Quote Originally Posted by Peter View Post

I dont like him smacking the geezer when he was backing away but.....it appears this chap was threatening some gay men, wielded a bottle and there are also separate reports of them trying to start fights elsewhere earlier in the night.

If all of that is true, and I stress IF, then the chap deserved a kicking and can consider himself fortunate it wasnt a lot worse.

I have little sympathy for him. Stokes's needs to appreciate he cant get himself in these situations and needs to grow up. But the guy on the floor worthy facial injuries- **** him.
    Happened in rugby (sort of) with Manu Tuilagi missing out on a home world cup at that. He had been charged and pleaded guilty admittedly (pleaded guilty to get the charge out of the way before said world cup but got kicked out anyway).

Quote Originally Posted by Luis Anaconda View Post
    Happened in rugby (sort of) with Manu Tuilagi missing out on a home world cup at that. He had been charged and pleaded guilty admittedly (pleaded guilty to get the charge out of the way before said world cup but got kicked out anyway).
    Some **** is going to wheel out the one argument that really gets me wound up- that these people are role models and should act like it. What sort of example is this for our kids etc??

Utter nonsense.