Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Len McCluskey on the election: "The whingers and whiners say we didn't win. I say we

Len McCluskey on the election: "The whingers and whiners say we didn't win. I say we

did win."

What the fúck is wrong with these people?

Also, there's someone walking around the Conference with an actual Jeremy Corbyn icon. And that's without mentioning the fact that there appear to be hundreds of people walking around there openly displaying soviet iconography with no hint of shame.

Mad. These people are all fúcking mad. :snakehead:

Screenshot-2017-09-25-115225.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Burney View Post
    did win."

What the fúck is wrong with these people?

Also, there's someone walking around the Conference with an actual Jeremy Corbyn icon. And that's without mentioning the fact that there appear to be hundreds of people walking around there openly displaying soviet iconography with no hint of shame.

Mad. These people are all fúcking mad. :snakehead:

Screenshot-2017-09-25-115225.jpg
    It was a moral victory, b. Which is, of course, always an actual defeat.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter View Post
    Exceeding extremely low expectations is not a victory of any sort, p.

It's only a moral victory if you believe a simplistic sound bite like 'the public have had enough of austerity' instead of the reality which is that Corbyn and Labour doing better than expected was the result of many factors and leaping to simplistic conclusions on the back of the result is a dangerous business.

The only moral victory really is that even Corbyn isn't so stupid that under the right circumstances he couldn't put up a decent showing.

I suppose Labour has that.

Exceeding extremely low expectations is not a victory of any sort, p.
    That is exactly what it is. A victory- of sorts.

If you set up a market stall flogging fresh turds you should walk away very happy indeed if you manage to sell even one

Also, Paul Mason has just tweeted this

I really advise my colleagues in the political press corps to listen to the conference. It's a breath of fresh air and reminds me of 1980
    He does remember what happened to Labour in the 1980s, right?

Honestly, p, as much as these people irritate me, they must make you absolutely despair.

Quote Originally Posted by World's End Stella View Post
    It's only a moral victory if you believe a simplistic sound bite like 'the public have had enough of austerity' instead of the reality which is that Corbyn and Labour doing better than expected was the result of many factors and leaping to simplistic conclusions on the back of the result is a dangerous business.

The only moral victory really is that even Corbyn isn't so stupid that under the right circumstances he couldn't put up a decent showing.

There is a broader question here though. Over three elections, in 2010, 2015 and 2017, the Conservatives have twice failed to gain a majority and only once managed to squeeze very narrowly over the line. This is against a Labour Party held responsible for war and economic collapse, and then a Labour Party led by a leftie and which has been a laughing stock on here for the last few years.

Those three results over seven years suggest a distinct lack of appetite for the Conservatives and for austerity.

Quote Originally Posted by World's End Stella View Post

On my good days I hope that Labour's electoral performance was to a large extent a rather misguided protest vote against Brexit and that it's a trick they're unlikely to be able to pull off twice. Most of those voting Labour either didn't know or deliberately ignored Labour's manifesto position on Brexit in order to get at the tories.

On my bad days I wonder if we might actually end up with a Corbyn government.

There is a broader question here though. Over three elections, in 2010, 2015 and 2017, the Conservatives have twice failed to gain a majority and only once managed to squeeze very narrowly over the line. This is against a Labour Party held responsible for war and economic collapse, and then a Labour Party led by a leftie and which has been a laughing stock on here for the last few years.

Those three results over seven years suggest a distinct lack of appetite for the Conservatives and for austerity.

I think that underestimates quite how much the electoral boundaries in this country are weighted against the Tories, to be fair.

Also, Paul Mason has just tweeted this

He does remember what happened to Labour in the 1980s, right?

Honestly, p, as much as these people irritate me, they must make you absolutely despair.
    Its very much part of the game. I like the fact that party retains a conscience and an eye for its history. It is of course very frustrating to have such muppets in charge.