Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Not really sure why everyone's acting all shocked about the AfD gains in Germany.

Not really sure why everyone's acting all shocked about the AfD gains in Germany.

I was in Rostock last week and, simply by seeing the amount of support in the form of posters and graffiti there it was clear they were going to make hay. No surprise, either, that they did better in the poorer and less squeamish former GDR than in the wealthier, more liberal west.

It's almost as if unilaterally inviting a few million young, unemployed immigrant men into your country is going to produce a backlash, isn't it? Who'd have thought, eh?

Quote Originally Posted by Burney View Post
    I was in Rostock last week and, simply by seeing the amount of support in the form of posters and graffiti there it was clear they were going to make hay. No surprise, either, that they did better in the poorer and less squeamish former GDR than in the wealthier, more liberal west.

It's almost as if unilaterally inviting a few million young, unemployed immigrant men into your country is going to produce a backlash, isn't it? Who'd have thought, eh?
    To be fair, they are not invited in as unemployed people At least let them arrive and try to find a job

Quote Originally Posted by Peter View Post
    To be fair, they are not invited in as unemployed people At least let them arrive and try to find a job
    Well as of November last year, only 13% of them had found work. This is pretty ironic, given that one of the excuses for letting them in was to bolster Germany's dwindling industrial workforce.

Well as of November last year, only 13% of them had found work. This is pretty ironic, given that one of the excuses for letting them in was to bolster Germany's dwindling industrial workforce.
    Racist employers? They do have a bit of form in this area, the Krauts

Its not really ironic though, is it?

when I think AFD I think

Racist employers? They do have a bit of form in this area, the Krauts

Its not really ironic though, is it?
    The average middle-class German these days is pathetically desperate NOT to be be racist. They fall over themselves to be nice about migrants, even when they clearly know damn well that the whole thing was an unmitigated fùck up.

I was talking to one the other day and I said that, from the outside looking in, Merkel's decision looked crazy. He agreed that it was crazy, but that at the time he'd supported it because he'd liked the idea of Germany being seen as the good guy. They're all blackmailed by their history, basically.

The average middle-class German these days is pathetically desperate NOT to be be racist. They fall over themselves to be nice about migrants, even when they clearly know damn well that the whole thing was an unmitigated fùck up.

I was talking to one the other day and I said that, from the outside looking in, Merkel's decision looked crazy. He agreed that it was crazy, but that at the time he'd supported it because he'd liked the idea of Germany being seen as the good guy. They're all blackmailed by their history, basically.
    Similar to us. Post imperial guilt and all that.

Why are you spending so much time hanging out with the Hun?

Similar to us. Post imperial guilt and all that.

Why are you spending so much time hanging out with the Hun?
    I have to go there on business more than I'd like. It's alright, but I do find it hard to warm to them.

13%?! I think only 500 of the 160,000 we got in 2015 had found work a year after.

I have to go there on business more than I'd like. It's alright, but I do find it hard to warm to them.
    The beer is good. I had to go to a lunch with 12 of them once in Berlin. They are not funny. I find this very difficult to deal with.

I hate eating with people at the best of times but this was torture. One of them told a racist joke that I still don't understand.