Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Not really sure why everyone's acting all shocked about the AfD gains in Germany.

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Goat Sverige View Post
    13%?! I think only 500 of the 160,000 we got in 2015 had found work a year after.
    Yes, well Sweden has the dubious honour of being the only country in Europe even more insane about migrants than Germany. You got in the absolute dregs as well. Somalians and Afghans - not nationalities noted for their love of the rule of law or commitment to non-violence.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter View Post
    The beer is good. I had to go to a lunch with 12 of them once in Berlin. They are not funny. I find this very difficult to deal with.

I hate eating with people at the best of times but this was torture. One of them told a racist joke that I still don't understand.
    The beer is good, but all the pilsener basically tastes the same due to having identical ingredients. And I can't stand Weissbier or dunkelbier. For that reason, I tend to get bored of German beer fairly quickly.

The Germans do have a sense of humour, but it's not exactly subtle.

Quote Originally Posted by Burney View Post
    The beer is good, but all the pilsener basically tastes the same due to having identical ingredients. And I can't stand Weissbier or dunkelbier. For that reason, I tend to get bored of German beer fairly quickly.

The Germans do have a sense of humour, but it's not exactly subtle.
    Weissbier is pretty much the only type of beer that I genuinely like the taste of

"You were talking to one the other day"? I would have thought this kind of shabby

The average middle-class German these days is pathetically desperate NOT to be be racist. They fall over themselves to be nice about migrants, even when they clearly know damn well that the whole thing was an unmitigated fùck up.

I was talking to one the other day and I said that, from the outside looking in, Merkel's decision looked crazy. He agreed that it was crazy, but that at the time he'd supported it because he'd liked the idea of Germany being seen as the good guy. They're all blackmailed by their history, basically.
    anecdotal evidence beneath you b. Anyone who didn't know you might think you were dabbling in dubious reportage.

Quote Originally Posted by Herbert Augustus Chapman View Post
    anecdotal evidence beneath you b. Anyone who didn't know you might think you were dabbling in dubious reportage.
    Eh? So I oughtn't to report a conversation I had with a German in Germany about Germany because it may not be representative of every single German?

Bòllocks.

wrong place
    Last edited by Herbert Augustus Chapman; 09-25-2017 at 09:52 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Goat Sverige View Post
    13%?! I think only 500 of the 160,000 we got in 2015 had found work a year after.
    And people who are characterised by indolence and avarice must invariably resort to crime; the only pursuit that can simultaneously satisfy both traits.

I've become a racist haven't I

I was in Rostock last week and, simply by seeing the amount of support in the form of posters and graffiti there it was clear they were going to make hay. No surprise, either, that they did better in the poorer and less squeamish former GDR than in the wealthier, more liberal west.

It's almost as if unilaterally inviting a few million young, unemployed immigrant men into your country is going to produce a backlash, isn't it? Who'd have thought, eh?
    This news item was tailor-made for you, wasn't it? Thank you, German elections.

And yet, when you look at Germany, this whole immigrant crisis has been a net gain for them. *They are no longer the international pariah; they've behaved well, with humanitarian concern. It means that they have moral superiority again, which is something they've lacked for seventy years. Unfortunately, my good old US of A has sacrificed hers. We're the would-be Nazis, unfort. We lose, the Germans gain. You British also lose with your Brexit, I expect. :-/

Quote Originally Posted by eastgermanautos View Post
    This news item was tailor-made for you, wasn't it? Thank you, German elections.

And yet, when you look at Germany, this whole immigrant crisis has been a net gain for them. *They are no longer the international pariah; they've behaved well, with humanitarian concern. It means that they have moral superiority again, which is something they've lacked for seventy years. Unfortunately, my good old US of A has sacrificed hers. We're the would-be Nazis, unfort. We lose, the Germans gain. You British also lose with your Brexit, I expect. :-/
    You have literally no idea of what's going on in Germany as a result of Merkel's decision, do you? A nation that had no terrorism problem has now imported one; it has lost roughly half a million of these migrants and has literally no idea where they now are;most of them are unemployed and a massive burden on the resources and infrastructure of the country; the country is suffering a spike in violent crime - particularly sex crime - that is unprecedented in its history and every town centre is full of hordes of middle Eastern/North African men in large, intimidating groups; and, of course, having taking this monumentally stupid step unilaterally, Germany has tried to force other EU states to take some of these people. Understandably, many have told them to fùck off and sort out their own mess.

That's why millions of people are suddenly voting for the only party on the ticket that actually acknowledges that there's a problem - let alone plans to do do anything about it. Merkel's idiocy made this election result happen. If you think that gives her or Germany any moral superiority, you're deluded. As for the whole thing being a 'net gain', the idea is laughable. Even Merkel has admitted she regrets it, ffs!

And we've established already that you have barely even the most rudimentary idea of what Brexit is, what it actually means or the reasons behind it, so kindly forbear from pontificating on the subject.

You have literally no idea of what's going on in Germany as a result of Merkel's decision, do you? A nation that had no terrorism problem has now imported one; it has lost roughly half a million of these migrants and has literally no idea where they now are;most of them are unemployed and a massive burden on the resources and infrastructure of the country; the country is suffering a spike in violent crime - particularly sex crime - that is unprecedented in its history and every town centre is full of hordes of middle Eastern/North African men in large, intimidating groups; and, of course, having taking this monumentally stupid step unilaterally, Germany has tried to force other EU states to take some of these people. Understandably, many have told them to fùck off and sort out their own mess.

That's why millions of people are suddenly voting for the only party on the ticket that actually acknowledges that there's a problem - let alone plans to do do anything about it. Merkel's idiocy made this election result happen. If you think that gives her or Germany any moral superiority, you're deluded. As for the whole thing being a 'net gain', the idea is laughable. Even Merkel has admitted she regrets it, ffs!

And we've established already that you have barely even the most rudimentary idea of what Brexit is, what it actually means or the reasons behind it, so kindly forbear from pontificating on the subject.
    I do know that the Germans took a hit as far as the world's perception of them when they decided to kill 6 million Jews, et al. After that, they were concerned to repair their reputation but found it rather difficult for a solid 70 years. It's easier to be xenophobic than it is to be tolerant, which is why nations get credit for being tolerant. Germany took a hit, sure, but it's still extremely well off. It also can be proud of itself for doing something magnanimous.

And here's the thing: where does xenophobia end? It just continues to spiral. Here we have this maniac of a president who tears into everything. But I think he's going down by taking on NFL football. Because that there's our national entertainment, and you don't fvck with that.