Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast

Thread: Not really sure why everyone's acting all shocked about the AfD gains in Germany.

Quote Originally Posted by Monty92 View Post
    I asked a couple of Jewish friends recently if they know any Jews who have got divorced. I don't know what the stats are, but I can only assume it is way under the national average.

When you're Jewish, being an absent father means you're stuck at the office working on a complex litigation case.
    Is there a particular stigma to divorce? Because the removal of that is what's really sent divorce rates rocketing in the west.

Quote Originally Posted by Burney View Post
    Is there a particular stigma to divorce? Because the removal of that is what's really sent divorce rates rocketing in the west.
    Yes, but almost entirely culturally driven. Jews don't tend to move far from their parents and remain emotionally wedded to them by virtue of seeing them so often. As a result the parents are consulted (or offer an opinion uninvited) on everything, from house purchases to the schools you send your kids to. You don't wanna be the Jew that has to tell your parents you're getting divorced.

There's other factors at play, obviously, but this is certainly an important one.
    Last edited by Monty92; 09-26-2017 at 03:19 PM.

And quite right too....

Yes, but almost entirely culturally driven. Jews don't tend to move far from their parents and remain emotionally wedded to them by virtue of seeing them so often. As a result the parents are consulted (or offer an opinion uninvited) on everything, from house purchases to the schools you send your kids to. You don't wanna be the Jew that has to tell your parents you're getting divorced.

There's other factors at play, obviously, but this is certainly an important one.
    Also, I suppose in relatively close-knit communities, you'd be forever seeing your ex and former in-laws. No-one wants that.

Also, I suppose in relatively close-knit communities, you'd be forever seeing your ex and former in-laws. No-one wants that.
    My missus and I are a pretty text book example of the differences. Her: non-jewish, mum lives 2 hours away, sees her a few times a year, dad fúcked off decades ago and lives in America. Me: mum and dad both within a 25-minute drive and see us Every. Fúcking. Weekend.

Obviously she doesn't mind this at all and it causes absolutely no friction. Ohhhh no.

My missus and I are a pretty text book example of the differences. Her: non-jewish, mum lives 2 hours away, sees her a few times a year, dad fúcked off decades ago and lives in America. Me: mum and dad both within a 25-minute drive and see us Every. Fúcking. Weekend.

Obviously she doesn't mind this at all and it causes absolutely no friction. Ohhhh no.
    Hmmm. Still, baby-sitting on tap, surely?

Hmmm. Still, baby-sitting on tap, surely?
    Yes. I think on balance I'd still prefer them to be on the other side of the world, though. Or dead.

Yes. I think on balance I'd still prefer them to be on the other side of the world, though. Or dead.
    My parents in law are no trouble, really. One's in Florida and the other's in Bradford. Although the one in Florida did briefly get put in jail recently. Oh, and he managed to trigger some sort of transatlantic security alert by maliciously suggesting that a group of former Navy Seals were operating an ISIS training camp that meant Scotland Yard took an interest in his various family members

Oh, and my mother-in-law has at various times been both a Jehovah's Witness and a Witch.

Other than that, they're fine, though.

Do they have partners though? Is there a risk they'll move back when they get older and become a burden on you?

We're in a timebomb situation. Four parents, all with varying dysfunctionalties, and all alone except for the one who just impregnated a 30 year old Nigerian prostitute.

The chances of us not having to look after at least one of them when they get old are slim

My parents in law are no trouble, really. One's in Florida and the other's in Bradford. Although the one in Florida did briefly get put in jail recently. Oh, and he managed to trigger some sort of transatlantic security alert by maliciously suggesting that a group of former Navy Seals were operating an ISIS training camp that meant Scotland Yard took an interest in his various family members

Oh, and my mother-in-law has at various times been both a Jehovah's Witness and a Witch.

Other than that, they're fine, though.

Do they have partners though? Is there a risk they'll move back when they get older and become a burden on you?

We're in a timebomb situation. Four parents, all with varying dysfunctionalties, and all alone except for the one who just impregnated a 30 year old Nigerian prostitute.

The chances of us not having to look after at least one of them when they get old are slim
    Shortly after my MIL moves in with us in her later years after her husband passes away I have every intention of killing her.

Suggestions for a method gratefully received.