Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Jack Wilshere is an interesting player.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony C View Post
    If he was taller and could do a good lucozade advert then maybe John Barnes

They don't make ads like that anymore...

loooooooool.
    "Plenty of strikers can score goals," he said, gesturing to the famous old stands casting shadows around us.

"But a lot have found it difficult wearing the number 9 shirt for The Arsenal."

Quote Originally Posted by redgunamo View Post
    Probably. Can you think of another English, even British, player of Wilsh's sort that's been successful in England?
    I thought we were waiting to find out what 'sort' of player he was?

His englishness shouldn't be a problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter View Post
    I thought we were waiting to find out what 'sort' of player he was?

His englishness shouldn't be a problem.
    That's right, up to a point. We already certainly know he's a not-very-physically-robust midget, which would rule out the David Batty role. And he doesn't score goals either, which rules out a Dennis Wise role. He also doesn't kick people so much as he gets kicked himself, which counts against him when compared to either of them.

What's left? Scholes?

And you're mistaken about his Englishness; Wenger would've moved him aside ages ago had he been foreign.
    "Plenty of strikers can score goals," he said, gesturing to the famous old stands casting shadows around us.

That's right, up to a point. We already certainly know he's a not-very-physically-robust midget, which would rule out the David Batty role. And he doesn't score goals either, which rules out a Dennis Wise role. He also doesn't kick people so much as he gets kicked himself, which counts against him when compared to either of them.

What's left? Scholes?

And you're mistaken about his Englishness; Wenger would've moved him aside ages ago had he been foreign.
    All of the above applies to Arteta. Foreign, stuck with him for years, Wenger loved him (and rightly so).

I just meant that him being English shouldn't make it harder for him to be whatever it is he is supposed to be. So finding a foreign player who has managed it should be enough- we dont need an english example.

All of the above applies to Arteta. Foreign, stuck with him for years, Wenger loved him (and rightly so).

I just meant that him being English shouldn't make it harder for him to be whatever it is he is supposed to be. So finding a foreign player who has managed it should be enough- we dont need an english example.
    Different matter entirely; Arteta is actually foreign. The same way Wenger Himself is foreign.

I see what you mean, but I think Wenger was stung by the criticism He received when He first began to field a side with no English players in it and since resolved not to let it happen again. Too often. The point though is that England, or the Premier League, doesn't tend to produce players like Arteta. Or Jack Wilshere. There must be a reason for this.

Different matter entirely; Arteta is actually foreign. The same way Wenger Himself is foreign.

I see what you mean, but I think Wenger was stung by the criticism He received when He first began to field a side with no English players in it and since resolved not to let it happen again. Too often. The point though is that England, or the Premier League, doesn't tend to produce players like Arteta. Or Jack Wilshere. There must be a reason for this.
    Because we hack them to pieces. Or 'put them under pressure, letting them know you are there' depending on your standpoint.

Wenger is right that Jack is a special case, as are you (right that is). THere is a hell of a footballer in there somewhere and we may as well have one last go to see if we can find him.

Because we hack them to pieces. Or 'put them under pressure, letting them know you are there' depending on your standpoint.

Wenger is right that Jack is a special case, as are you (right that is). THere is a hell of a footballer in there somewhere and we may as well have one last go to see if we can find him.
    Absolutely. But if we know it, why doesn't the manager.

Absolutely. But if we know it, why doesn't the manager.
    He does doesn't he?

He does doesn't he?
    I meant the bit about hacking uppity young fanny dancers to pieces. He does rather seem to have forgotten that.

I meant the bit about hacking uppity young fanny dancers to pieces. He does rather seem to have forgotten that.
    I think he thinks it shouldn't happen and that to him is very close to saying that it doesn't.