Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: AWIMB Bob Dylan suggestions - WES's review

Quote Originally Posted by Burney View Post
    I'm not really sure how one would go about not being a fan of Tangled Up In Blue, tbh.

I mean, Rosemary and the Jack of Hearts aside, there isn't a bad song on the whole album, is there?
    I was referring to the song itself not Blood on the Tracks. I've just never taken to the song.

And as it's been a while I've just given it another listen. Nope, still don't like it.

Quote Originally Posted by SWv2 View Post
    In general or simply in relation to this artist / a single artist.

Bit too modern a concept for you Pedro?
    It is a bit, yes. It was bad enough when CDs arrived and destroyed the notion of a song closing side 1 and opening side 2. Now you have people letting a piece of software choose random songs from an artist. It is obviously worse with someone like Dylan's who has a huge back catalogue but the principle itself is concerning.

Imagine leaping from Highway Patrolman to Glory Days. It is just several kinds of wrong.

Update:

Simple twist of Fate - 7/10, just listened to it after Tangled Up in Blue and it's growing on me

Perhaps the fact that it was offered up by a lover of the Woking lesbian clouded my judgement

Quote Originally Posted by World's End Stella View Post
    Update:

Simple twist of Fate - 7/10, just listened to it after Tangled Up in Blue and it's growing on me

Perhaps the fact that it was offered up by a lover of the Woking lesbian clouded my judgement
    Keep going. Lets get to Idiot Wind and regroup.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter View Post
    It is a bit, yes. It was bad enough when CDs arrived and destroyed the notion of a song closing side 1 and opening side 2. Now you have people letting a piece of software choose random songs from an artist. It is obviously worse with someone like Dylan's who has a huge back catalogue but the principle itself is concerning.

Imagine leaping from Highway Patrolman to Glory Days. It is just several kinds of wrong.
    Presumably you walk out of any concert when an artist doesn't play songs in album order then?

Quote Originally Posted by Luis Anaconda View Post
    Presumably you walk out of any concert when an artist doesn't play songs in album order then?
    I went to see Blur a number of years ago... was when the "best of" had come out, they played the whole album in the order they appeared
    Northern Monkey ... who can't upload a bleeding Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Luis Anaconda View Post
    Well that is a live show and therefore totally different. One expects an artist to create a set list that makes sense and creates an atmosphere. One also expects them to create versions of the songs that work in the set list.

Either way, it is the artist dictating the selection, not a machine.

Well that is a live show and therefore totally different. One expects an artist to create a set list that makes sense and creates an atmosphere. One also expects them to create versions of the songs that work in the set list.

Either way, it is the artist dictating the selection, not a machine.
    Playlists aren't dictated by a machine but by demand from the customer. And quite right, too.

You're dated on this one, Peter old bean.

Quote Originally Posted by World's End Stella View Post
    Playlists aren't dictated by a machine but by demand from the customer. And quite right, too.

You're dated on this one, Peter old bean.
    Oh, I know that. Its entirely my problem. And you are right, I was thinking of a random selection.

Nevertheless, I stand by everything I said.

Wrong.

A playlist will have been lovingly made by a person, a curator if you will.

I will often create a playlist of maybe a 100 plus tunes by numerous artists and indeed genres, then use the shuffle option with utter abandon and just enjoy hours of unfettered listening. It is the randomness of artist selection which keeps you on your musical toes as such - one minute it's Weller, then maybe The Jam and then it could jump to early Style Council.