Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: AWIMB Bob Dylan suggestions - WES's review

Quote Originally Posted by SWv2 View Post
    Wrong.

A playlist will have been lovingly made by a person, a curator if you will.

I will often create a playlist of maybe a 100 plus tunes by numerous artists and indeed genres, then use the shuffle option with utter abandon and just enjoy hours of unfettered listening. It is the randomness of artist selection which keeps you on your musical toes as such - one minute it's Weller, then maybe The Jam and then it could jump to early Style Council.
    Such range and variety
    10 characters? Pile of cund.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter View Post
    Well that is a live show and therefore totally different. One expects an artist to create a set list that makes sense and creates an atmosphere. One also expects them to create versions of the songs that work in the set list.

Either way, it is the artist dictating the selection, not a machine.
    They are still the same songs though for all your protestations and you accept songs can be played in an order other than they appear on an album. I don't think WES is a machine (not according to your mum anyway) so a playlist is not necessarily compiled by one, as you seem to think. Quiet possible for those listening to an artist's complete recorded work to select songs that work together or are pleasing to them, surely? Would you only go to a gallery and insist on seeing an artist's portfolio in the order he/she created works of art of would you trust a curator to put together a show that reflects the artist's assembled works in the most interesting light?

Quote Originally Posted by Luis Anaconda View Post
    They are still the same songs though for all your protestations and you accept songs can be played in an order other than they appear on an album. I don't think WES is a machine (not according to your mum anyway) so a playlist is not necessarily compiled by one, as you seem to think. Quiet possible for those listening to an artist's complete recorded work to select songs that work together or are pleasing to them, surely? Would you only go to a gallery and insist on seeing an artist's portfolio in the order he/she created works of art of would you trust a curator to put together a show that reflects the artist's assembled works in the most interesting light?
    I have attended a few musical performances in recent years where an artist is celebrating the anniversary of an album* and they have played the entire concert in the exact sequence of the record.

I am not convinced by it as a live experience, and that is before one overlooks the inevitable fact that most albums have low points**

*A theme which appears to have lost the run of itself
    ** Apart from All Mod Cons

I have attended a few musical performances in recent years where an artist is celebrating the anniversary of an album* and they have played the entire concert in the exact sequence of the record.

I am not convinced by it as a live experience, and that is before one overlooks the inevitable fact that most albums have low points**

*A theme which appears to have lost the run of itself
    ** Apart from All Mod Cons
    Stranglers did this the other year when they played the whole of Black & White.

Like All Mod Cons there are no low points.

While all the points made in defence of playlists are valid, there is something As God Intended It about listening to an album properly - ie, tracks in the correct order and ideally on vinyl, so the impact of the tracks at the end of side 1 and beginning of side 2 make themselves felt. And with no fecking disembodied singles and b-sides tacked onto the end of the CD and basically ruining the thing. Grrr.

Quote Originally Posted by Ash View Post

While all the points made in defence of playlists are valid, there is something As God Intended It about listening to an album properly - ie, tracks in the correct order and ideally on vinyl, so the impact of the tracks at the end of side 1 and beginning of side 2 make themselves felt. And with no fecking disembodied singles and b-sides tacked onto the end of the CD and basically ruining the thing. Grrr.
    Absolutely agree. I'm sure there are tracks that I love on some albums that I didn't like to start with but had to listen to on vinyl or tape rather than being lazy and just skipping to the good ones on a CD

Quote Originally Posted by Ash View Post

Indeed, however it is when one creates a playlist of various artists that the concept comes into its own.

A quick perusal of my most recent creation lists 94 songs and a secondary perusal of artists at the beginning show’s such variety as Tubeway Army, The Clash, SFA, The Waterboys, The Ramones, Immaculate Fools, Bowie, Stone Foundation, Nick Heyward, Boards of Canada and naturally Weller in various guises – the 3 obvious ones plus others where he has guested on other artist albums.

And yes – Something Better Change and Peaches.

Boards of Canada
    According to Wiki this is a couple of jocks who play electronic music and yet put Canada in the name of their band.

Pervert.

You, not them.

Quote Originally Posted by World's End Stella View Post
    According to Wiki this is a couple of jocks who play electronic music and yet put Canada in the name of their band.

Pervert.

You, not them.
    You have to be open to almost all types of music Wes. Except Country and also Country & Western.

It's name is not a coincidence.

You have to be open to almost all types of music Wes. Except Country and also Country & Western.

It's name is not a coincidence.

Nothing wrong with a bit of Johnny Cash, SW.

He even covers Bob quite a bit. And I have a soft spot for A Boy Named Sue - lyrical genius.

Quote Originally Posted by Luis Anaconda View Post
    I was really talking about the craft of an album. So in your analogy, if an artist had done a series of works in a particular order and had assembled them in that order to tell a story, would you not want to see them in that order?

Anyway, its just me. I like an album.