Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: AWIMB Bob Dylan suggestions - WES's review

Quote Originally Posted by Luis Anaconda View Post
    Absolutely agree. I'm sure there are tracks that I love on some albums that I didn't like to start with but had to listen to on vinyl or tape rather than being lazy and just skipping to the good ones on a CD
    Exactly. You cant have people just skipping the bad songs. You should have to listen to them.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter View Post
    I was really talking about the craft of an album. So in your analogy, if an artist had done a series of works in a particular order and had assembled them in that order to tell a story, would you not want to see them in that order?

Anyway, its just me. I like an album.
    I'd be pretty surprised if many albums weren't put together with the following logic:
    1) let's start with a good fast one
    2) let's end with a good slow one
    3) let's not have similar songs in speed and style next to each other

It's hardly cutting edge artistic creativity, Peter.

Quote Originally Posted by World's End Stella View Post
    I'd be pretty surprised if many albums weren't put together with the following logic:
    1) let's start with a good fast one
    2) let's end with a good slow one
    3) let's not have similar songs in speed and style next to each other

It's hardly cutting edge artistic creativity, Peter.
    That may be true of what you listen to. I am afraid it isn't for me. I expect better.

That may be true of what you listen to. I am afraid it isn't for me. I expect better.
    Born to Run, as an example, pretty much follows that formula. Born in the USA as well.

I was really talking about the craft of an album. So in your analogy, if an artist had done a series of works in a particular order and had assembled them in that order to tell a story, would you not want to see them in that order?

Anyway, its just me. I like an album.
    I think we're making swing the point here, which is that the truly great albums are actually telling a story. That story has a narrative arc and, by pïssing about with the order, you destroy that narrative. In the case of Bloodon the Tracks, it's the story of a doomed relationship. It goes full circle from Tangled up in Blue to Shelter from the Storm and - Lily, Rosemary and the Jack of Hearts aside - it makes sense in that order. We lose that if we stop listening to albums.

Quote Originally Posted by Burney View Post
    I think we're making swing the point here, which is that the truly great albums are actually telling a story. That story has a narrative arc and, by pïssing about with the order, you destroy that narrative. In the case of Bloodon the Tracks, it's the story of a doomed relationship. It goes full circle from Tangled up in Blue to Shelter from the Storm and - Lily, Rosemary and the Jack of Hearts aside - it makes sense in that order. We lose that if we stop listening to albums.
    No, not interested in their troubles, I'm afraid. I just want tunes I can tap the toes to and sing in my bath. Of course, these are far harder to come up with.
    "Plenty of strikers can score goals," he said, gesturing to the famous old stands casting shadows around us.

"But a lot have found it difficult wearing the number 9 shirt for The Arsenal."

Quote Originally Posted by redgunamo View Post
    No, not interested in their troubles, I'm afraid. I just want tunes I can tap the toes to and sing in my bath. Of course, these are far harder to come up with.

Exactly. So you have no need for the craft. THere is plenty of music out there for you and jolly good luck with it. You have no need for the good stuff- nor do you deserve it.

Quote Originally Posted by World's End Stella View Post
    Born to Run, as an example, pretty much follows that formula. Born in the USA as well.

If you actually listened to the album, in the right order, you should realise that there is a story to Born to Run and the order of the songs is absolutely essential to that story. If you cant work out why it starts with Thunder Road and ends with Jungleland then you have thoroughly missed the point. It is also a good example of my earlier point regarding the sides. It is no coincidence that side 1 ends with Backstreets and side 2 opens with Born to Run.

Bad example. Born in the USA is arguably less significant but then it is nowhere near as good an album. I dont care too m ugh what you choose to do with the order of those. But if you **** with Born to Run then we have a problem. Oh yes.

Quote Originally Posted by Burney View Post
    Going old school, it is acceptable to skip Lily, Rosemary and the JAck of hearts. Failing to do so will mean that when one tries to fit the album on to one side of a cassette one will lose Buckets of Rain. That is unacceptable.,

If you actually listened to the album, in the right order, you should realise that there is a story to Born to Run and the order of the songs is absolutely essential to that story. If you cant work out why it starts with Thunder Road and ends with Jungleland then you have thoroughly missed the point. It is also a good example of my earlier point regarding the sides. It is no coincidence that side 1 ends with Backstreets and side 2 opens with Born to Run.

Bad example. Born in the USA is arguably less significant but then it is nowhere near as good an album. I dont care too m ugh what you choose to do with the order of those. But if you **** with Born to Run then we have a problem. Oh yes.
    He is not allowed to listen to Born To Run.

I forbid it.