Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: So there seems to be some debate about how much we should pay as part of Brexit

So there seems to be some debate about how much we should pay as part of Brexit

I had heard rumours of 50bil or so, but Boris is saying 30bil is too much, I think.

All of which is very puzzling because I've been assured many times that Brexit means Brexit and that that answers all questions pertaining to the details of us leaving the EU so I'm not too sure what the issue really is.

I'm going to repeat Brexit means Brexit over and over to myself and see if a number magically appears at some point.

Quote Originally Posted by World's End Stella View Post
    I had heard rumours of 50bil or so, but Boris is saying 30bil is too much, I think.

All of which is very puzzling because I've been assured many times that Brexit means Brexit and that that answers all questions pertaining to the details of us leaving the EU so I'm not too sure what the issue really is.

I'm going to repeat Brexit means Brexit over and over to myself and see if a number magically appears at some point.

Jesus WES - it's Monday ****ing morning. Can we just do football for a while before you start this ****?

Well given that we legally don't owe them a single fücking penny, it's fairly ludicrous to talk in terms of there being any 'correct' number. The number will be whatever we can get away with based on the negotiations.

Quote Originally Posted by Luis Anaconda View Post
    Jesus WES - it's Monday ****ing morning. Can we just do football for a while before you start this ****?
    I'm multi-tasking

I'm multi-tasking
    Talking **** about 2 subjects at once.. a rare skill. wd WES
    Northern Monkey ... who can't upload a bleeding Avatar

Okay, please forgive my stupidity here as obviously being an Irish citizen I am removed from all this.

When you say "how much should we pay" ... is this penalty clauses (as such) or whatever for removing yourselves from the EU or just some kind of notional costs to the economy etc.

Quote Originally Posted by SWv2 View Post
    Okay, please forgive my stupidity here as obviously being an Irish citizen I am removed from all this.

When you say "how much should we pay" ... is this penalty clauses (as such) or whatever for removing yourselves from the EU or just some kind of notional costs to the economy etc.
    No. There is absolutely no official mechanism that requires us to pay any price for leaving the EU. We accept, however, that we have an obligation to pay for those projects or aspects of the EU to which we committed prior to the vote to Leave. The EU is obviously trying to get us to pay as much as possible, while we are trying to pay as little as possible. It's just haggling, basically.

Quote Originally Posted by Burney View Post
    Well given that we legally don't owe them a single fücking penny, it's fairly ludicrous to talk in terms of there being any 'correct' number. The number will be whatever we can get away with based on the negotiations.

Let me just get this clear in my head. So, our government (the responsible, hard headed, flag waving patriots who put britain first and dont stand for any nonsense from this euro cretins) are going to try to negotiate a reduction on a bill that we have precisely no legal obligation to pay?

That doesn't make a lot of sense to me. Cant we just find a half decent lawyer? I know a guy....

Quote Originally Posted by Burney View Post
    No. There is absolutely no official mechanism that requires us to pay any price for leaving the EU. We accept, however, that we have an obligation to pay for those projects or aspects of the EU to which we committed prior to the vote to Leave. The EU is obviously trying to get us to pay as much as possible, while we are trying to pay as little as possible. It's just haggling, basically.
    Why dont we just tell them to **** off? I cannot see a problem with this at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter View Post
    Let me just get this clear in my head. So, our government (the responsible, hard headed, flag waving patriots who put britain first and dont stand for any nonsense from this euro cretins) are going to try to negotiate a reduction on a bill that we have precisely no legal obligation to pay?

That doesn't make a lot of sense to me. Cant we just find a half decent lawyer? I know a guy....
    I didn't say that we didn't have to pay money, I said there was no legal obligation to do so. There are imperatives other than the law.

However, as an initial negotiating position, the fact that we are under no legal obligation is quite a useful one.