Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Thread: Things you have no idea will confuse foreigners: Ebbsfleet

Things you have no idea will confuse foreigners: Ebbsfleet

Americanchap nect to me panicked because he thought he'd got on the wrong train when the French Johnny mentioned Ebbsfleet. Said to me 'Parlez vous Anglais?' at which point I reassured him.

Obviously, I should have struck the fellow for mistaking me for a Frenchman, but one must make allowances for the Yanqui, I suppose.

Quote Originally Posted by Burney View Post
    Americanchap nect to me panicked because he thought he'd got on the wrong train when the French Johnny mentioned Ebbsfleet. Said to me 'Parlez vous Anglais?' at which point I reassured him.

Obviously, I should have struck the fellow for mistaking me for a Frenchman, but one must make allowances for the Yanqui, I suppose.
    You mean he had never heard of Ebbsfleet? Surely the football team has put the 'Fleet very much on the world map?

It's your fault for wearing that Beret around.

I always love the look on people's faces when they ask me for directions in faltering German (which happens a surprising amount) and I reply in English. They look so happy

Quote Originally Posted by Sir C View Post
    You mean he had never heard of Ebbsfleet? Surely the football team has put the 'Fleet very much on the world map?
    Sadly, no. Damned fellow probably doesn't even know you played at a certain level.

Sadly, no. Damned fellow probably doesn't even know you played at a certain level.
    Poor benighted ignorami, they are.

Quote Originally Posted by Luis Anaconda View Post
    I always love the look on people's faces when they ask me for directions in faltering German (which happens a surprising amount) and I reply in English. They look so happy
    Wo ist das Emirates stadion Bitte?

Quote Originally Posted by Luis Anaconda View Post
    I often offer my help to obviously lost tourists around the city.

Few avail, others look at me as if I am about to rob them. ****s.

Quote Originally Posted by SWv2 View Post
    I often offer my help to obviously lost tourists around the city.

Few avail, others look at me as if I am about to rob them. ****s.
    Are you about to rob them?
    "Plenty of strikers can score goals," he said, gesturing to the famous old stands casting shadows around us.

"But a lot have found it difficult wearing the number 9 shirt for The Arsenal."