Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Someone of the Yankee persausion asked me the difference between lager and real ale

Someone of the Yankee persausion asked me the difference between lager and real ale

t'other day.

I was unable to answer definitively. I think I said something like 'lager is brewed under pressure and is carbonated while real ale is not and is flat'. And 'I prefer real ale in the pub especially in the colder months, while lager is great on a hot sunny day'.

Neither of which really answers the question properly nor is necessarily correct, I think. Anyone know the answer?

Something science-y to do with the type of yeast used in the process.

Quote Originally Posted by SWv2 View Post
    Something science-y to do with the type of yeast used in the process.
    Quite an advanced reply for you, SW.

I had expected something more along the lines of 'real ale makes me fart thunder, lager makes me p1ss myself'.

Quote Originally Posted by World's End Stella View Post
    t'other day.

I was unable to answer definitively. I think I said something like 'lager is brewed under pressure and is carbonated while real ale is not and is flat'. And 'I prefer real ale in the pub especially in the colder months, while lager is great on a hot sunny day'.

Neither of which really answers the question properly nor is necessarily correct, I think. Anyone know the answer?
    Real ale is the minging wringings from aged dishwahsing cloths, with a little old man sputum dribbled on top for additional pleasure.

Lager is often horrid but sometimes nice.

There, I think I've covered that off for you.

Quote Originally Posted by World's End Stella View Post
    Quite an advanced reply for you, SW.
    I got a book about beer for Xmas.

On a recent Bank Holiday I also took the entire family to the Guinness Storehouse for the full tourist experience. Quite science-y in places but interesting, free pints at the end and all.

Would you believe while at the bar I heard a Yankee enquire after "a Guinness on the rocks", which naturally the barman refused to do for him. Politely of course though nobody would questioned him had he just ****ed him out the fire escape.

The waste on view was shocking as all adults get a free pint at the end but most of the Nip tourists apparently just want a taste/sip and then the rest is poured away.

Sad really when you see all the famine in the world.

I got a book about beer for Xmas.

On a recent Bank Holiday I also took the entire family to the Guinness Storehouse for the full tourist experience. Quite science-y in places but interesting, free pints at the end and all.

Would you believe while at the bar I heard a Yankee enquire after "a Guinness on the rocks", which naturally the barman refused to do for him. Politely of course though nobody would questioned him had he just ****ed him out the fire escape.

The waste on view was shocking as all adults get a free pint at the end but most of the Nip tourists apparently just want a taste/sip and then the rest is poured away.

You waited and necked all the leavings, didn't you?

Quote Originally Posted by Sir C View Post
    You waited and necked all the leavings, didn't you?
    Well no as I had my kids with me, but the young lad did suggest that is what I should do.

Still, sad scenes etc.

There are people on this earth perishing through thirst as we speak
    "Plenty of strikers can score goals," he said, gesturing to the famous old stands casting shadows around us.

"But a lot have found it difficult wearing the number 9 shirt for The Arsenal."

Quote Originally Posted by redgunamo View Post
    There are people on this earth perishing through thirst as we speak
    I feel guilty for not really looking forward to free beer this evening now. I shall just have to sup it up

Quote Originally Posted by Luis Anaconda View Post
    I feel guilty for not really looking forward to free beer this evening now. I shall just have to sup it up
    Indeed. Sup up your beer and collect your fags.

p.s. I know you don't smoke