Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Can't believe the amount of debate around that

Quote Originally Posted by Mo Britain less Europe View Post
    The Barcelona red card was for playing the ball after the referee had blown even though the whistle was clearly inaudible.

The Mane card is questioned because he plays for Liverpool and the media is stuffed with scousers.
    Yes - the debate was led by that well-known Liverpool lover Gary Neville

Quote Originally Posted by Luis Anaconda View Post
    Carragher, Owen, McManaman and Thompson were all at it.

And are all full of it but that wasn't what fueled the debate. Lineker was another one saying it wasn't a red. God knows why

Neville had somewhat painted himself into a corner by lambasting the decision and then being a stubborn arse when the replays showed it had to be a red.

And are all full of it but that wasn't what fueled the debate. Lineker was another one saying it wasn't a red. God knows why
    Strikers, you see. No idea about the spirit of the game.
    "Plenty of strikers can score goals," he said, gesturing to the famous old stands casting shadows around us.

"But a lot have found it difficult wearing the number 9 shirt for The Arsenal."

These sorts of red cards always cause a debate like this because everyone who has ever played the game knows that they almost certainly would have done what Mane did. It wasn't in any way malicious, it was just unlucky and given the number of malicious tackles that don't get a red, one like that always gets a bit of sympathy. I remember enjoying tremendously the red card given to Nani (I think) thereby knocking ManU out of the CL in Ferguson's last season.

It was less of a red card but, like Mane's, a red card nonetheless.

To be fair, Carragher did say it was a red during the half time analysis
    "Scoring a goal is better than sex" - Whoever said that was sticking it to the wrong woman

Backtracked sort of, after the 90 minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by World's End Stella View Post
    These sorts of red cards always cause a debate like this because everyone who has ever played the game knows that they almost certainly would have done what Mane did. It wasn't in any way malicious, it was just unlucky and given the number of malicious tackles that don't get a red, one like that always gets a bit of sympathy. I remember enjoying tremendously the red card given to Nani (I think) thereby knocking ManU out of the CL in Ferguson's last season.

It was less of a red card but, like Mane's, a red card nonetheless.
    That's right, I think; if it's my striker, I want him to go for that ball and damn the consequences. Or at least, take a chance on the officials' judgement. And score obviously. On the other hand, if it's my goalkeeper, I want the forward sent off, banned and warned as to his future conduct
    "Plenty of strikers can score goals," he said, gesturing to the famous old stands casting shadows around us.

"But a lot have found it difficult wearing the number 9 shirt for The Arsenal."