Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Ladies and gentlemen, I give you 'the left'

Quote Originally Posted by Peter View Post
    What beliefs are these? I dont even know who she is or what she is banging on about...
    Oh, she's objecting to the drawing of moral equivalence between communists and Nazis, suggesting the commies are nice, fluffy types who only want universal peace, love and harmony

Quote Originally Posted by Burney View Post
    Oh, she's objecting to the drawing of moral equivalence between communists and Nazis, suggesting the commies are nice, fluffy types who only want universal peace, love and harmony
    It would be dangerous to equate communism with equality. Is that what people do these days?

It would be dangerous to equate communism with equality. Is that what people do these days?
    That is what she has done essentially, yes. I quote:

"My argument was that when comparing 21st C century fascists and communists their very different goals are morally relevant"

So basically: Fascists kill people because they're evil. Communists do it because they're good. Either way, millions die.'

The Germans do. Anyway, the other lot are banned.

"Plenty of strikers can score goals," he said, gesturing to the famous old stands casting shadows around us.

"But a lot have found it difficult wearing the number 9 shirt for The Arsenal."

"My argument was that when comparing 21st C century fascists and communists their very different goals are morally relevant"

So basically: Fascists kill people because they're evil. Communists do it because they're good. Either way, millions die.'
    You don't need to be either of these things though to happily kill people in huge quantities. Madeline Albright, centre-left, thought the death via her sanctions of half-a-million Iraqi children was 'worth it'. Fluffy ecologist Rachel Carson has arguably killed more than Hitler and Stalin combined. A million deaths from malaria every year since she got DDT banned in 1972. And still her book Silent Spring has a hand-written label of recommendation ("You must read this book") in Waterstones on Gower Street.

I'm not making excuses for Hitler and Stalin but ....

So presumably here she is also equating fascism with genocide. Again, thoroughly incorrect.

Basically, she doesn't know what she is talking about. Move on.

Quote Originally Posted by Ash View Post
    You don't need to be either of these things though to happily kill people in huge quantities. Madeline Albright, centre-left, thought the death via her sanctions of half-a-million Iraqi children was 'worth it'. Fluffy ecologist Rachel Carson has arguably killed more than Hitler and Stalin combined. A million deaths from malaria every year since she got DDT banned in 1972. And still her book Silent Spring has a hand-written label of recommendation ("You must read this book") in Waterstones on Gower Street.

I'm not making excuses for Hitler and Stalin but ....
    Of course not. I'm not buying the sanctions thing, though, since the alternative means of bringing unpleasant regimes to heel is war - take your pick. You could more justifiably point the finger at those children's government, which preferred them to die than to do what was necessary to stop them dying.

Don't get me started on the crimes of the environmental movement, though. You could also point to the fact that thousands of people across Europe will die this winter due to fuel poverty entirely created by unnecessary, ineffective and meaningless 'green' taxes on fuel.

So presumably here she is also equating fascism with genocide. Again, thoroughly incorrect.

Basically, she doesn't know what she is talking about. Move on.
    No. Fascism to these people means Hitler and nothing else. Point out that Mussolini's Italy - whilst not exactly pleasant - would have been far preferable to live in than pretty much any Eastern Bloc country post-1945 and they'll call you a Nazi in no time.

No. Fascism to these people means Hitler and nothing else. Point out that Mussolini's Italy - whilst not exactly pleasant - would have been far preferable to live in than pretty much any Eastern Bloc country post-1945 and they'll call you a Nazi in no time.
    Not exactly pleasant might be putting it mildly but I get your point

Not exactly pleasant might be putting it mildly but I get your point
    Yeah, but it's Italians at the end of the day. How bad can they get? To be really nasty, they'd have to put the hours in and be properly organised and that was never gonna happen.