Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Can we still sell players abroad if their windows are not closed? I suspect they

Quote Originally Posted by Pat Vegas View Post
    keep their windows open as it's hot over there.

This is the time where I look online to see what free agents are available.
    It means we still have time to sell Perez, Campbell and

Quote Originally Posted by Mo Britain less Europe View Post
    The non-flying clause happened after he'd been playing for us for two seasons. 98 World Cup incident.
    The 98 World Cup was three seasons after he joined The Arsenal

The incident occurred during the 94 World Cup
    Last edited by Viva Prat Vegas; 09-01-2017 at 10:58 AM.
    10 characters? Pile of cund.

Quote Originally Posted by Sir C View Post
    Absolutely. I said it throughout his career. He should have been at Madrid with Zidane and Figo winning European Cups, instead of taking it easy with us.

Of course the truly big teams would never have allowed his non-flying clause...
    The non-flying and his lack of pace always held him back from achieving what he might have otherwise.

But as I pointed out the other day, still a very good player at times. Compared very favourably with Teddy Sheringham.

Attention seeking, I'm afraid; you're going to have to just man up :judge:

"Deep down", you admit yourself that your early experiences were perfectly normal and fine. Then why not say you have a fear of hangovers, or even a fear of leaving Ireland or travelling to England? Obviously because none of those things would even get you to first base, sympathy-wise

Quote Originally Posted by Burney View Post
    Certainly. My first experience of flying was when I was 10 on an old BAC-111 to Majorca. I was fine. I didn't like take-off (still don't), but for the rest of the flight I was calm.

My fear of flying didn't develop until my early 20s, really. It was a flight back from Ireland, I was badly hungover and suffered what I now realise to have been a mild claustrophobic panic attack . After that, the floodgates were open. Deep down, I associated flying with the feelings I had experienced on that one flight and to some extent still do. The fear is not of crashing, it's of being in the environment where one experiences those feelings. Now of course, there is no better way of ensuring that one experiences those feelings than by harbouring a fear of doing so, but the human brain is a fúcker like that and breaking that cycle is easier said than done.
    "Plenty of strikers can score goals," he said, gesturing to the famous old stands casting shadows around us.

"But a lot have found it difficult wearing the number 9 shirt for The Arsenal."

Quote Originally Posted by redgunamo View Post
    "Deep down", you admit yourself that your early experiences were perfectly normal and fine. Then why not say you have a fear of hangovers, or even a fear of leaving Ireland or travelling to England? Obviously because none of those things would even get you to first base, sympathy-wise
    Because my psychological association and consequent fear reaction is to do with flying in aeroplanes and not any of those other things. Again, you're making the mistake of thinking of it as though it is a conscious decision on my part to feel like this. It isn't. If I could stop it, God knows I would.

Why do you imagine any of this is about garnering sympathy? I don't want sympathy, but a little empathy might be nice.
    Last edited by Burney; 09-01-2017 at 11:27 AM.

Became my internal fear association and consequent reaction is to do with flying in aeroplanes and not any of those other things. Again, you're making the mistake of thinking of it as though it is a conscious decision on my part to feel like this. It isn't. If I could stop it, God knows I would.

Why do you imagine any of this is about garnering sympathy? I don't want sympathy, but a little empathy might be nice.
    I went through a period where I struggled with public speaking. But I found it easy enough to resolve by simply assuring myself that a fear of speaking in public is irrational, because it is.

Hey presto issue went away.

Quote Originally Posted by World's End Stella View Post
    I went through a period where I struggled with public speaking. But I found it easy enough to resolve by simply assuring myself that a fear of speaking in public is irrational, because it is.

Hey presto issue went away.
    Well no, the fear of public speaking is not irrational. It is normally done in a work context and there is huge potential for fùcking it up, with consequent negative effects on your career, reputation, etc. it's entirely sensible to be nervous about it.

Became my internal fear association and consequent reaction is to do with flying in aeroplanes and not any of those other things. Again, you're making the mistake of thinking of it as though it is a conscious decision on my part to feel like this. It isn't. If I could stop it, God knows I would.

Actually, this is me, doing "empathy".

What made you decide that it was to do with one thing rather than the other thing, or set of things? Why, indeed, do you continue to fly?

Perhaps it is a sub-conscious decision?
    "Plenty of strikers can score goals," he said, gesturing to the famous old stands casting shadows around us.

"But a lot have found it difficult wearing the number 9 shirt for The Arsenal."

Well no, the fear of public speaking is not irrational. It is normally done in a work context and there is huge potential for fùcking it up, with consequent negative effects on your career, reputation, etc. it's entirely sensible to be nervous about it.
    You could use that logic to justify a fear of pretty much anything.

Quote Originally Posted by redgunamo View Post
    Actually, this is me, doing "empathy".

What made you decide that it was to do with one thing rather than the other thing, or set of things? Why, indeed, do you continue to fly?

Perhaps it is a sub-conscious decision?
    Because my initial fear was about being on the plane and desperately wanting not to be.

I continue to fly because I have to for work and because I've learned to manage my fears - if not eliminate them.

I would argue that - by its very nature - there is no such thing as a sub-conscious decision.