Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Huge enormous LOL (as kids say)

Quote Originally Posted by Burney View Post
    Oh, sure. But I'm simply defending the decision not to sell Sanchez. I wish we'd done similar with players in the past.
    Right. But the more money than players problem has only recently become acute; now everybody is desperately hunting about for players to spend 50+million pounds apiece on. When we sold RvP, suitable replacements were readily available to us, hence our consistency over that period.

But now .. Well, imagine both you and your neighbour, whom you suspect has been eyeing up your missus, winning the pools on the same weekend
    "Plenty of strikers can score goals," he said, gesturing to the famous old stands casting shadows around us.

"But a lot have found it difficult wearing the number 9 shirt for The Arsenal."

Quote Originally Posted by SWv2 View Post
    Not enough time to sign Lemar.

Only the 3 months.

Glad it's over anyway, silly.
    It's not really like that though is it. You always have Barca, PSG, etc. stacked in the pole position. Droit du seigneur. We can only hope to score if it's like in the back alleyway, a five minute quickie, which is what we try for always on August 31st. Worked for Ozil, not for Lemar.

Quote Originally Posted by redgunamo View Post
    When we sold RvP, suitable replacements were readily available to us, hence our consistency over that period.
    \
    Are you sure? You could argue RVP has never been replaced. Santi replaced Nasri from the previous summer. Ozil then replaced Cesc. You could argue that Sanchez replaced Pires and the brief beauty of JAR on the left we'd been lacking for a decade - with decent attempts such as playing TR7 there and then AA23, and less decent ones like Gervinho and to a lesser extent Poldi.

But since RvP left, AW hasn't had a decent striker for the first time in his career and it's showing.

He was able to bodge defences when players like Kos came up trumps. But if you have a striker who doesn't have the pace to get a 1-on-1 or the skill to finish it, then all the creativity in MF is wasted.

And as you say, there are now so many teams with big money chasing fewer and fewer strikers, esp since the change to 4-3-3 meant that the old days of all teams having 2 up front so 3 good ones on the books has gone.

Given Sanchez and Ozil, don't you think last season would have been fine had we had a Wrighty or Titi or RVP up front?

We came 4th after selling Nasri and Cesc and getting Arteta. Because we had RVP. The next season, Santi, Olly and Poldi shared his goals between them.

But RvP hasn't been replaced and this is what half the problem stems from. The creativity is wasted without a top no.9.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter View Post
    Agreed. Maybe we didnt even seriously consider selling Sanchez either. That is, in my opinion, incredibly stupid, but there you go.
    Not stupid at all, dude. Once we become known as a light touch, unable or unwilling to stand on principle, we get walked all over. Look at fvcking Van Persie. One day I will hunt that fvck down and give him a stern talking to.

Quote Originally Posted by redgunamo View Post
    No, you say you've made up your mind that not selling Sanchez is stupid. Yet if He did sell him, especially to a rival, that could clearly be seen as stupid too. After all, how is He supposed to win the league without His best players.

So, He's damned if He does and damned if He doesn't. As I say, it's too late.
    Word, Red. Word. Don't be payin no mind to this stupid mutherfvcker. He's got rocks in his fricken head.