Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: 20 years ago today the worst week in this country's post-war history began.

Quote Originally Posted by Burney View Post
    To be fair, he called him a prick, which begins with p.
    Fair one, fair one.

I've dropped a bóllock here really, haven't I?

Quote Originally Posted by SWv2 View Post
    Can you not step aside?

Mind you as King he could make a royal order to allow himself have a go on Kate and then step aside. Perks etc.
    You can, but it's hardly the done thing and is only usually done if there is some pressing constitutional reason for him to do so. Also, it would be a bit of a swizz to happily lap up the very generous revenues from the Civil List and the Duchy of Cornwall for 50-odd years and then say 'Nah, you're alright' when asked to do the job for which you received those perks.

Quote Originally Posted by Sir C View Post
    Fair one, fair one.

I've dropped a bóllock here really, haven't I?

Easily done. The confusion arose because I called people who want written constitutions, disestablished churches and elected heads of state ****s - which of course they are.

Easily done. The confusion arose because I called people who want written constitutions, disestablished churches and elected heads of state ****s - which of course they are.
    On this occasion, as so often, you have truly chosen le mot juste, b.

On this occasion, as so often, you have truly chosen le mot juste, b.
    So that's all cleared up, then. Charles III is a príck but I'm a cùnt.

Quote Originally Posted by Ash View Post
    So that's all cleared up, then. Charles III is a príck but I'm a cùnt.
    Oh he didn't mean you, a. He meant the others. You know the sort.

Oh he didn't mean you, a. He meant the others. You know the sort.
    Exactly. I would never be so rude to a, who is a chap for whom I hold the greatest respect.

I am afraid I have to agree. Which makes me feel a little uneasy.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter View Post
    I am afraid I have to agree. Which makes me feel a little uneasy.
    I think it's the thing where such people look around the countries that have these things and somehow convince themselves they're better run or more just than the UK.

They aren't.

I think it's the thing where such people look around the countries that have these things and somehow convince themselves they're better run or more just than the UK.

They aren't.
    They are symbols. I care little for them.

THe notion of separating church and state was a noble one, crucial in releasing law making and government from the narrow confines of religious doctrine. We couldn't do it so we separated state and government instead. Same difference, does the job.

In the same way it irritates me slightly when people go and see a metro system built 50 years ago and say it is so much more effective and rational than the tube. Of course it is, it was purpose built. Ours is centuries old and had had to evolve to cope with different eras.