Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: 20 years ago today the worst week in this country's post-war history began.

Quote Originally Posted by Burney View Post
    Allow me to refresh your memory

I was at that game. I remember ranting on the journey home about how Ray Parlour was the weak link in the team and if he was a regular starter we'd have no chance of winning anything.

Nigel Winterburn was also on my shítlist too, for some reason.

This is my Nicosia moment, isn't it

Allow me to refresh your memory

A couple of years later we lost there in the cup as well. I watched it on my own in a bar in Roermond. Another sad, lonely businessman evening, with the added seasoning of a defeat at Leicester.

Good timez.

Quote Originally Posted by Monty92 View Post
    I was at that game. I remember ranting on the journey home about how Ray Parlour was the weak link in the team and if he was a regular starter we'd have no chance of winning anything.

Nigel Winterburn was also on my shítlist too, for some reason.

This is my Nicosia moment, isn't it
    Not at all, m. We all have these moments. You should've heard some of the things I said about Thierry Henry back in the day.

I'd forgotten you used to be a supporters' club away game deviant.

Quote Originally Posted by Sir C View Post
    A couple of years later we lost there in the cup as well. I watched it on my own in a bar in Roermond. Another sad, lonely businessman evening, with the added seasoning of a defeat at Leicester.

Good timez.
    I have no memory of that game at all.

Not at all, m. We all have these moments. You should've heard some of the things I said about Thierry Henry back in the day.

I'd forgotten you used to be a supporters' club away game deviant.
    Actually we travelled independently to that game.

But you've just made me remember that thick, sub-literate spastic Micky who I had to listen to for hours and hours on coach journeys around the country and who I'd managed to almost entirely block out of my memory until now. So thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Monty92 View Post
    Actually we travelled independently to that game.

But you've just made me remember that thick, sub-literate spastic Micky who I had to listen to for hours and hours on coach journeys around the country and who I'd managed to almost entirely block out of my memory until now. So thanks.
    I do remember a discussion on here about how travelling to away games basically constituted a form of mental illness. I think you were starting to think the same thing at that stage.

I have no memory of that game at all.
    I just remember sitting at the bar staring into my pint as we lost.

la would have all the details to hand, of course.

The week in which this country abandoned quiet dignity, reserve and stoicism and instead embraced hysteria, emotional incontinence, narcissistic displays of grief and - worst of all - public weeping.

And we'd just drawn 0-0 with Spurs.
    I remember my mum and dad went to the funeral and had a good cry. My mum also bought Candle in the Wind and some other tribute cassette

I do remember a discussion on here about how travelling to away games basically constituted a form of mental illness. I think you were starting to think the same thing at that stage.
    You can understand people who go with mates and make a day of it for the bantz, but there were often people who seemingly went alone, with nothing but their home-made sandwich and compact disc player for company. I guess it got them out of the house

I used to travel a lot with Maputo Gooner. He had some serious, serious flatulance issues

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Goat Sverige View Post
    I remember my mum and dad went to the funeral and had a good cry. My mum also bought Candle in the Wind and some other tribute cassette
    I just don't understand the mindset. But try and express the view that you really didn't care that much at the time and you had a good chance of getting punched. It was weird.